20 minute run in week 5?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
paulj48

20 minute run in week 5?!

Post by paulj48 »

Hi, I've been following the program and the running is getting easier and I'm now upto week 5

Why is it that run 3 of week 5 is a 20 minutes solid run with no breaks but the run before is only 16 minutes with 5 minutes walk in between and the run after (ie week 6) is 2 x 5 and an 8 minute run with 2 x 3 minute walks in between.

It doesnt seem to make sense, why the solid 20 minute run just out of nowhere?
benjohn

Re: Question about week 5

Post by benjohn »

Hi paul,

I'm glad things are going well and you've got to week five.

A few people have asked about the seemingly big jump at the end of week five, and when I first did the couch to 5k program, I also thought it seemed crazy and beyond me. When I actually did the run though, I found I could do it. It was by no means a "walk in the park", but I managed it, and right then, I knew I would be able to do the 30 minutes, no problem, with a bit more training.

It seems that in the early weeks you are building up your body and getting it ready, and when you do this 20 minute run, you'll find you actually are ready for the distance!

My advice is take it really easy and don't rush. If you do find 20 minutes is too much, you can always pause the run and add a walk, or switch to the previous run. But give it a go: I think there is every chance you'll surprise yourself! Come back and let everyone know how it goes, because a lot of people will be reassured if you find it is okay :-)

Here's what I've said before on get satisfaction: http://getsatisfaction.com/splendid_thi ... this_right
matt

Post by matt »

Hi Paul,

Yeah, the last run of week 5 definitely seems to be the "leap of faith" point on the C25K. Certainly when I did it it was a bit of a challenge. But then it was also a horrible, rainy day, which didn't help, and I made it through anyway.

The good news is that it's definitely do-able. It looks a bit intimidating, but by the time you get to the end of week five, you really don't seem to need that five-minute break in the middle. And once you've done it, it's a great sense of accomplishment, and really sets you up for the rest of the plan.

My advice: take it slow. You might already be running fairly slowly, but you can probably slow down even more. Limiting your speed really helps you keep going over decent distances -- it's how I get through my 10K jogs now! Keep it slow, keep breathing, and keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you'll be fine.

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Jen

Post by Jen »

I just came in from my w5 run 3 and I am still in shock that I was able to run for a full 20 minutes! It was difficult and slow, and there were times I wanted to quit but I didn't and I'm so glad I didn't! Praise God for giving me the strength to get through it! I can't wait for the next run!

I thought the 20 minute run was crazy too up until now, but don't worry, it's totally doable! When you think you can't go on, start humming with your music or look around at the families in the park, and think about how awesome you're going to feel when you finish. 
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Fantastic Jen! Very well done!

:-) It's a great feeling to finish it, isn't it!
helenmac

Post by helenmac »

Woohoooo......I just finished the 20 min solid run on week 5. I am so please with myself. I thought it was a bit mental when I looked at it and wasn't sure if I would be able to do it. I powered on as the snow was coming down knowing how great I would feel when I was done........I think I will be able to manage the 30 mins no problems ;-) I loved it at the end when the woman said "that's it, now you can call yourself a runner"!!!!

Good luck to everyone else just starting on this one!

Helen
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Brilliant Helen! Very well done to you, especially with the snow!
yccampbell

Post by yccampbell »

Hi Paul,
I thought there was some kind of mistake when I got to the long run. I completed it last Thursday. My run felt shorter that day. And yesterday's run with 2 three minute breaks was easier! :P
Yolanda
mikel

Post by mikel »

W5D3 seems very much a leap of faith run. It's effectively half way thru the program and I am certain the point is to show you how far you have come to further motivate you to run to completion.

I just completed my run and while it is a difficult run it is not as extreme as it looks. My biggest concern from the run was that I may have sustained a small calf injury. You push yourself so much further that you need to be really careful to make sure you don't injure yourself. Your body has not had to run this far in one go before and it puts a fair bit of strain on the body.

In terms of endurance, you need to keep your pace steady. Once you get into a solid rhythm the time goes by reasonably quickly. The tired feeling in your legs never gets any worse than about the 5 min mark. All I did was focus on breathing out and keeping my head up (I focused on a point and made sure I ran towards it).

I have been tracking my last few runs with Nike+ and I have found a very bizarre observation. The pace of my runs actually speeds up. While it feels like I am running at the same pace, the graphs show that I end at a slightly quicker pace than when I started. I was expecting the opposite as I got more tired.

So for those with serious concerns about this run (and there is very good reason), just trust that whoever came up with this program knew what they were doing and that if you really put your mind to it, you will be able to complete 20 minutes. Your body is ready, you just need to convince your mind.
Li li

Post by Li li »

Well I did it! Got through the last of week 5s runs and felt good! However, have only been doing all my runs on the treadmill so i'm sure when i start to run outside it will be a lot different.
I wanted to build my confidence with running first without the added hazards/difficulties of running outside- so I'm going to finish the programme indoors and then come back to week 4 or 5 outside- thats the plan anyway.
I feel my fitness has really improved- 20 minutes of jogging would have been near unobtainable for me before this programme, although I can do spinning classes and different classes, maybe the programme has been more of a psychological thing for me. Either way this programme has given me the confidence to try running which i'm happy about.