Calf pain

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Riley124

Calf pain

Post by Riley124 »

I was doing really well got to wk 7 and then wk 8 happened!! I had to stop on last run with calf pain. Rested then tried again today but after 10 mins pain again. It is on the lower inside of my calf muscle( I think) I now can't walk without feeling it. Any suggestions to how to help it and also how not to allow it to happen again would be welcome. Wouldn't want to interrupt my new running schedule!
pphill

Re: Calf pain

Post by pphill »

Hi Riley this happened to me I'd running for weeks no issues then I had pain in my calf shortly into a run after resting and the pain going I'd be able to run again for a few weeks then it would hurt again in same place, this happened a few times, I traced it back to my running shoes I needed a neutral running shoe and not stretching my calf properly after running.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

The closest I got to calf was shin splint, also shoe related. However, I got those walking at a fast pace, bad shoes and very lazy on form. I used a compression sleeve for about 2 weeks, got new shoes and have not been bothered in 7 weeks since the pain went away.
Sking113

Post by Sking113 »

Hello all, I would suggest eating bananas before your run, bananas provide plenty of potassium, also fill those water bottles with organic coconut water which hydrates your body more than water and is also a great source of potassium. Potassium helps with muscle stiffness. :)