Running novice and a smoker

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Patowen

Running novice and a smoker

Post by Patowen »

Hi folks, I've only just downloaded the app having wanted to get into running for sometime but never getting round to it. I'm not necessarily aiming for 5k straight runs (though would be great to achieve it!) for me it's more a helpful tool to make running more structured with the aim of losing weight. My main problem I think is well I'll cope as a moderate smoker, I suppose this is something I'm just going to have to keep on mind and adjust to as I go along (I know what your thinking, I could always quit). I'm starting day one tomorrow and overall I'm looking forward to it, I'll keep you posted and happy running guys!
philcatlin

Re: Running novice and a smoker

Post by philcatlin »

Hi patowen, I myself am a smoker and a fairly heavy one at that (at least 20 a day) and am also fairly overweight. I just completed Week 5 Run 3 (20 minutes no break) and it wasn't easy. The best thing to remember is to control your pace and breathing. I struggled with a few of the runs up until now but if I failed one I simply took a couple of days rest and then repeated it. Trust me, if I can manage this, almost anyone can!