I Must Be Stupid

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ColinD69

I Must Be Stupid

Post by ColinD69 »

Signed up for the Great Scottish 10K Run....I must be mad!!! I can just about run 5K and now have 12 weeks to get up to 10K! My poor old legs are not going to be happy with me!!!! Wish me luck :)
matt

Re: I Must Be Stupid

Post by matt »

Well done! Don't push it too hard. The standard advice is to never increase your distance by more than 10% per week. The good news is that you can fit the increase from 5K to 10K in 12 weeks that way :)

And are you stretching after your run? It can help with those sore legs... I started off my stretching routine using an iPhone app called "Stretch Guru: Run". It's got pictures of what you should be doing, with timers and a voice to talk you through the routine. There may be better apps for stretching out there—I just picked one that was meant for running and looked okay, rather than doing much research—but it's got good reviews.
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
ColinD69

Re: I Must Be Stupid

Post by ColinD69 »

matt wrote:Well done! Don't push it too hard. The standard advice is to never increase your distance by more than 10% per week. The good news is that you can fit the increase from 5K to 10K in 12 weeks that way :)

And are you stretching after your run? It can help with those sore legs... I started off my stretching routine using an iPhone app called "Stretch Guru: Run". It's got pictures of what you should be doing, with timers and a voice to talk you through the routine. There may be better apps for stretching out there—I just picked one that was meant for running and looked okay, rather than doing much research—but it's got good reviews.
Thanks for that Matt, I have started adding on between 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile per week. It seems a manageable distance increase. I will stick with it and see how it goes. I only really do quad stretches for 30 seconds per leg and the same for calves. I should def be doing more!! I will check out the app, it sounds just the ticket! Thanks for the suggestion!! To think this time not so many weeks ago, I found it tough going just running 8 times did 1 minute!!