Any advice for 51 yr old new runner?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LordOberon

Any advice for 51 yr old new runner?

Post by LordOberon »

Hi Guys.

Just over 7 weeks ago I started this excellent programme and left my favourite position on the couch watching TV.
Now I am loving having to get out to do the next C25K challenge.

It's strange but my biggest fear now is that I'll suffer an injury or fall sick and won't be able to run!

Some of my friends/Family have suggested I stay away from running as that WILL injure me ... but this is working for me so I'm sticking it.

So any (constructive) advice for me at this stage of my life and the programme would be much appreciated.
e.g. Should I avoid looking at stepping up to 10k? Should I stick to 3 runs a week to avoid injury? Should I not show interest in ultra running? (Uh, one can dream, eh?!) :shock:

Thanks.

Mark
Tinydancer83

Re: Any advice for 51 yr old new runner?

Post by Tinydancer83 »

I'm not an experienced runner Mark but I thought I'd add my view :)

I think age is just a number and if youre building up your running strength and stamina with a really good running plan such as this and taking warm up , cool downs and stretches seriously - I don't see a reason for injury.

A few years ago I did the Cancer Research 5K in Newcastle on the town moor/ exhibition park and I did suffer a running related injury - it was my fault really for not looking ahead and my foot went down a rabbit hole ;)
Perhaps that can be root caused as a lack of hazard awareness! :lol:
LordOberon

Re: Any advice for 51 yr old new runner?

Post by LordOberon »

Thanks a bunch for your answer, TinyDancer83.

I must remember to follow a regime of warm ups & downs and just carry on enjoying this new-found activity.

Cheers.

Mark D