Started running again today

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jogslim

Started running again today

Post by Jogslim »

Hi everyone
well done day one today, really enjoyed it and so did me dog, Gem. Hoping to build up to do a Race for Life in July. I have done some 5k before but not for a couple of year. So staring from stratch. Need to loss some weight too so hoping running will help. Anyone just starting? Good luck to you all.
benjohn

Re: Started running again today

Post by benjohn »

Hiya,

I'm glad you started, and I hope your running is going well! There are quite a few other Get Running users who run with their dogs, so you're in great company :-) They've got a thread going here.

Happy Running!
kprice

Post by kprice »

I actually ran once a few days ago, but I had my first run with your app today! I am not a runner and I am about 20 lbs. overweight (at least), but I was too prideful to start at week 1. So, I started at week 4 day 1. I also based this on my run a few days ago. Let's just say that it was just about right (I was a little off, but I will true it up this week).

I love the app! It worked great on my iPhone 3Gs, and I loved how it worked with my music! Well worth the few dollars! The graphical representations and clock are very clear, useful, and easy to understand!

Thanks!

Can I get my actual distance run?
And, my actual time run?
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) I'm not going to stop you jumping forward, and if you're absolutely sure you're ready for it, then that's fine. However, please bear in mind that while your heart, lungs, muscles, and energy might be fine and dandy with starting out at week four, perhaps your tendons and joint cartilage aren't quite ready for that, and would like to build up a bit if most of your previous exercise hasn't been running. Gradual build up is great for easing people in to exercise (it worked for me anyway), but it's also good for reducing the chance of injury. That's it though, lecture over :-}

In terms of measuring distance, Get Running doesn't use GPS to record your route and measure this (though it is an often requested feature!) However, if you have a Nike+, it is possible to use this at the same time as Get Running. Nike+ will estimate the distances that you run based on the number of strides that you take.

For the total running time, you can look in the Tweets (you don't need to send them if you don't want to), and I will look at including them in the run descriptive text.

Glad that you're enjoying it and you like the audio.

Happy Running!