6 foot 6, 240lbs, walking a bit in 25 min run

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Adrule

6 foot 6, 240lbs, walking a bit in 25 min run

Post by Adrule »

I'm new to running and love the Get Running app! I never thought I could do it. I've always been active and athletic playing basketball, tennis and romping around with my kids.

I made it through the first 20 minute run without stopping but during the 25 minute runs I find myself having to walk for 30-45 secs to get through it.

My knees and shins hurt for the first month but now they're acclimated.

Anyone else have this problem/issue?

I put my height and weight there thinking it may be a tall person thing.
Dredemer

Re: 6 foot 6, 240lbs, walking a bit in 25 min run

Post by Dredemer »

Hi Adrule,

Im only on the 2nd week, so I can't comment on the longer runs, but would like to hear about your knee/shin pain and how it went away.

I am having pain at the top of both tibias below the kneecap, on the inside part of the leg. Was your pain in that area?

I ask because Im going to see a doctor tomorrow to make sure Im not doing any significant damage, but me knees themselves feel strong, just fatigued. I am also 6'3" 220lbs and hope the pain is just from the impact and newness of running as opposed to something more severe.

Anyway it sounds like your doing great and im sure 25 min will happen in the next run or two.

Dave
Adrule

Post by Adrule »

Dave - thanks for the reply.

I chalk up my absence of knee/shin pain mainly to my body becoming more used to the impact of running. I did, however, make an adaptation to my gait. I have attempted (not sure if my form is perfect) to go to a mid-foot strike style. Check this out to learn more - http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/foot-strike.html My knee and shin pain have dissipated but as it states in the article my calves are more sore than before. I can live with sore calves soon than I can with sore knees and shins.

Hang in there. You'll start to feel better. My first 8 minute run was a huge accomplishment - as was the 10 and 20 mins.

I think your observation about the newness of it all is spot on. I'm not feeling any lingering or chronic pain type stuff.

By the way, I've solved my own problem and guilt for cheating during my runs - I completely forgot to just pause the Get Running app when I need to slow down. Then I'm honest with myself at the end of the run that I completed the whole thing. It's going to take a bit longer (I run during lunch hour at work) and so may present a problem there. But I'm feeling good for figuring that out!

Adam
chipset

Post by chipset »

I am 6'1" and 230 lbs.

When I hit the 25 minute runs, I found I had to walk a little bit.

Try this, if you feel you need to stop.. Walk only long enough to cross a street or just 10-15 seconds at a time then pick it back up. That's all it took for me.