Bad run today

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Ian

Bad run today

Post by Ian »

Just ran week 4 run 3 a bit earlier today. I found it really tough. I even had to abandon a bit of uphill that I did on the last two runs. Turned around and went back down or I would have had to stop.
Was going quite a bit slower than on last run too. I just didn't seem to have any energy left.
Anybody else had runs like that? I'm about to start week 5 on saturday and it's really unsettled me. I have decided I'm going to a flat running track for the 20 min run.

I should mention that I smoke (down to about 15 from 20 a day). Breathing has been a bit hard all along but only now finding that my legs are running out of steam. Not sure if that's bad oxygen delivery over the longer times due to smoking or just normal fatigue.
KeepTrying

Re: Bad run today

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi Ian. Don't despair. It's what happens. Sometimes we get cruddy days. Not sure where you are - but if in UK you may have hit the wall a bit because it is so unusually hot today. Also perhaps you are setting yourself too fast a pace? The 3m and 5m runs of week 4 are starting to ramp up your endurance. It is easy, I guess, to fall into the position of trying to go too fast for the 3m and 5m runs - particularly hard if you are going uphill! Let your pace slip back a bit. Repeat the w4r1 a few cycles till you find a pace that suits you. Remeber - this is all about finding the right pace for you and developing endurance - not speed. Good luck. Keep us posted. And good luck with the fags! 8-)
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

I get days like this at the Gym, go in raring to go then half way round the gym I really flag. I give up go home and have a glass of wine, I find it helps. :?
Get a good nights sleep, try again the next day you'll find you'll run better.
Don't give up you get good days which are brillant and bad days you try to forget.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cheers both of you. I'm feeling a bit better about it now. At least I did it today. I'll see how I get on on Saturday doing week 5 before repeating week 4. I am in Ireland and we did have a warmer than usual day and I was a bit tired in general too. I like the glass of wine idea!

I am mostly running between 7.5 min/km and 4.6 min/km (depending if I'm going up or down mostly). I am trying to go slowly but I'm finding that if I slow too much I actually find it harder. I have also found that if I'm listening to music I go slower by taking shorter steps rather than slowing the actual tempo of my run (matching the music). So I'm experimenting with talk radio instead for a bit.
jojomac

Post by jojomac »

Just like you, Ian I have had a really hard run today. Felt like I'd almost gone back to wk 1.....I'm on wk 5 r1!!! putting it down to the hot weather though and NOT going to get disheartened. Run 3 is looming!! I may repeat run 2, see how I feel then move on to run 3? I'm determined to complete this app. I am enjoying it but today has knocked me sideways. Ps. I'm in the UK. LANCS
We're at the roughly the same stage so keep going and I will too!!!
Jo x
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just in from my W5R1 now. It went great. I ran a different route with slightly less uphill and I'd rested well. It also bucketed rain the whole time which helped keep me cooled down. Including my warm up and warm down I covered 5k for the first time so I'm on a high. Looks like the last run was just a bad day.

I'm going to do R2 on Monday and I'll do that over the same route as today and then am going to a track for R3 on Wednesday.

Jo, I'd been seriously considering repeating some runs, but not anymore. Our heatwave only lasted 1 day here which I'm grateful for, but if it's still hotter in Lancs, then allow for that in what you expect from yourself (like you said). I guess the moral of the story is that everybody has off days but not to get disheartened by them.

Looking forward to hearing how the 8min runs went for you. I'm excited about running them now... I've never run for more than 5 mins solidly before in my life so they will be a landmark for me.

I really believe that I'll be able to do the 20 mins on Wednesday too and that is going to feel amazing (once I've recovered).
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

You are flying!
Nud

Post by Nud »

Great to hear thar run 2 went well. Can't wait to hear about how you go on run 3!
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Just wait till you hear Coach Clair tell you that you are a runner at the end of the 20min w5r3 run. That's a great feeling!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I didn't make it. I went down to the track only to discover that there was ladies athletic training going on. So I ended up going my usual route. First 10 mins were fine but when I turned there was a huge head wind and it was really rough. Struggled through another 5 minutes before resorting to run/walking the last 5 mins.

Bit gutted but have decided not to repeat at this stage. I'll see how I get on in week 6 and if I can't do the 25 min run I'll repeat that week. It was the lungs that gave out first before the legs.

I know I can do the 20 mins but I have to pay attention to my pacing. I went a bit too fast to start with I think. Finding it hard to go slower though. I have stopped listening to music and listen to talk radio instead now when I'm running. That helped me keep the pace more manageable.

Still, on the bright side I just ran for longer than ever before, nearly doubling my 8 min pb of a few days ago. Most importantly I still believe in this programme and I AM going to be a runner. It may take me an extra week, but that's ok too.

Oh, I lost weight for the first time this week too. A kilo. Definitely feeling the benefits of running and liking it. Today was just a bit frustrating.