Just finished Week 3 and cant wait to start week 4

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Queeny

Just finished Week 3 and cant wait to start week 4

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

I have just finished week 3 day 3, and I have to say im actually starting to enjoy it ! shock horror!

I am really looking forward to starting week 4 !

The only small-ish problem im experincing pain across the roof/top of my feet - i just wonder if anyone else has this issue?

I think its probably my £12 trainers from Tescos, as I've held off buying proper running shoes until I complete week 5. But I think its becoming a must to have :-)

Hope everyone else are giving their all still and enjoying every moment! x
Petra

Re: Just finished Week 3 and cant wait to start week 4

Post by Petra »

Yes, good running shoes are really a must have! Go to a proper sports shop and pick a time when there aren't much other customers, so they have plenty of time to advise you. Good running shoes don't come cheap, mine were about 130 euro's, but they are worth the money.

Good luck!

Petra (who will start week 9 - the last week - tomorrow!)
Ian

Post by Ian »

+1 on good running shoes. Although I have a good pair and have had some discomfort in that area. Looser laces may help. In my case I think a lot of the problem was a lack of flexibility. Concentrating on the stretch where I stand with just my toes on a step and lower my heels right down seems to have paid off.
Queeny

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice.

I have now ditched my old cheap trainers for some new shinny Nike Air running shoes, as recommended by the people in the shop.

I can not wait to put them through their paces, but have had even more pain and swelling in my feet today, so I'm giving myself a three day break to rest and recover before my next run - now on Friday.

Ian, I found your comment quite interesting regarding felix-ability problems, I suffer with short tendons in my legs, but have to say that I'm finding the running is really improving this but I'm always careful to stretch before and after each run. I will keep this in mind through if I carry on having problems.

I'm sure after some rest, new running shoes and if I take it a little slower I will be fine on Friday.

Thanks for repling to my post and I will keep you updated on my progress.

Ps well done Petra for reaching week 9!! Something I can only dream about at this stage ;-)
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Queeny wrote:.. well done Petra for reaching week 9!! Something I can only dream about at this stage ;-)
Sounds like you have got the bug Queeny. You'll get there! I bet you love your new running shoes.

A friend of mine (an ex Olympian Triathlete - no less!...) advised me not to do stretches before warming up. She feels that it is not a good idea to stretch 'cold' muscles and tendons etc. But to focus on plenty of good stretches after the cool down period. 5-10mins worth. This - she feels - avoids injury best.
Nud

Post by Nud »

Wow, great stuff Queeny! Hope the new shoes help with week 4. I just ran w3 r2, so not far behind you. You can be my motivation to keep going. :)
Queeny

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

Back from week 4 day 1 run, and it was brilliant, I honestly dont know how its happening but I felt I could do it all again after I had finished – considering I found week 1 very hard! LOL

My left foot is now pretty much completely recovered, unfortunately my right foot is still hurting a lot, but it didnt stop me. Im now resting it with a cold patch and have bandaged it up.

I hope to catch up tomorrow, but I will take it easy if my foot keeps complaining.

Its a very hard lesson to learn, but I should have brought proper running shoes in week 1 - oh well, you live and learn.

KeepTrying – I took your advice about not stretching before warming up and I have to say I feel fine for it. I had a good stretch after the run and actually found it easier than usual, as my muscles were ready for some pulling LOL

My new running shoes were great, no rubbing and I felt very supported. :-) yay!

Keep going Nud, we can make it to week 9 ! LOL