Help please. :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rayyloo

Help please. :)

Post by Rayyloo »

I'm 15 and I weigh 152. I'm trying to lose weight. I went through week 1 and just did week 2 run 1 today. My ankles really hurt and I had to quit today. For some reason they won't quit hurting. And it makes me think I'll never get to run 30 minutes. Do I stick with week 1 until my ankles get better? I need advice. Thanks.
starknut

Re: Help please. :)

Post by starknut »

Take a few days off and see how you feel. Sometimes you just need a break to give your body some time to heal.
Melo36

Post by Melo36 »

hi :-) am sorry i cant help you you with the ankle thing but just wanted to day well done for starting and stick with if you can :-)) mel
Rayyloo

Post by Rayyloo »

I took the weekend off and they stopped. But what I meant was that when I run, my ankles hurt. They quit though. But they hurt and burn too where I don't want to keep running.
Queeny

Post by Queeny »

Hi,

Do you have a good pair of trainers? The most important thing to know is you must have a good pair of running shoes.

I made the mistake of waiting before purchasing some and ended up with a sprained ankle in week 3.

I now have completely recovered and i'm about to run week 6 day 3 - 25mins of running with no breaks eek - I now have a pair of Nike Air running shoes which I had fitted at the store.

Listen to your body and if you're in pain rest - don't push it and hurt yourself.

If the problems continue, I would see a doctor but hopefully this is just teething problems with starting a new exercise plan.

Keep with it, as I promise the first week is the hardest, the rest just fly by :-)
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi RayyIoo,
I agree with Queeny. Well done for starting this programme and do try and stick with it, you will feel really pleased with yourself when you finish. Make sure your running shoes are the right pair for you. Go to a proper sports shop and get advice. My shins really hurt when I first started and it was because I was running in really old trainers. I got some new ones for £60 (not outrageously expensive) and my shins have never hurt since. Also, if you do get pains put some ice or a bag of frozen peas on the area for a few minutes and it will recover quickly. Good luck with it and happy running!
Catherine
http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
MoggyNinja

Post by MoggyNinja »

How about warming up, it is an important if not the most important part of any excercise, especially if you go running on a cold morning, people under estimate how important warming up is, its not very exciting granted, but then nor is sitting down for weeks upon end cause you cant walk due to injury ;)