Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
wildlife71

Re: Week 1 day 1...couldn't finish

Post by wildlife71 »

Ok my day 1 week 1 on this app .. set my music to lower when woman speaks .. but it didn't happen .. do I need to use a specific music app for this to work ? Thought it worked on any .. am a doing any thing wrong? :?

Thanks

heather
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

I just use the music app that comes standard with my iPhone. It lowers automatically.
wildlife71

Post by wildlife71 »

I have the Samsung galaxy s3 .. Al prob need to muck abt with it with other music apps see if it works .. A strained to hear the lady talking

thanks for your reply
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

No problem. Wish I knew a little more about the galaxy to help.

Ran week 6 run 1 this morning. That middle 8 minute run was a little tougher than I remembered. May still not be 100% where I was before the two week break.
matt

Post by matt »

Sadly, I'm afraid we're somewhat at the mercy of phone manufacturers and music app writers on Android. We do everything we can to make music "ducking" work on Android, and it works on "stock" Android phones from Google, e.g. on the Nexus series of devices and many others.

Sadly, some phones just don't seem to have the feature, and some music apps ignore the request to quiet down/pause the music even on phones where it normally works. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I actually developed most of Get Running on a Samsung Galaxy device, where the ducking worked fine... :(

I've tried reporting this in places where I've found a problem, but with these behemoth companies like Samsung and Microsoft (for the Xbox Music app, which seems to have this problem) it's hard to even get ahold of a human to talk to, let alone get their products fixed.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a music app that does work for you—both Google's own Play Music app, and Spotify normally seem to work—but if you don't and that means you can't get Get Running working to your satisfaction, I'd be happy to offer a full refund, of course. Drop me a line at play@getrunningapp.com and let me know.

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Still at it. Ended up with bronchitis so I had to miss more runs. All better though. I restarted week five Monday just to be safe. Tomorrow I'm doing run 3...again. I am determined to finish this.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Week 6 run three done. In the home stretch now. Hopefully no more health issues will pop up.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Just finished my second 25 minute run of week 7. Could have definitely ran further. Feeling good.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Week 7 down. Two more to go.
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

Todd H wrote:Just finished my second 25 minute run of week 7. Could have definitely ran further. Feeling good.
I'm glad to see you're getting on so well! My next run is Week 6 Run 2. I'm feeling a bit nervous, but cautiously optimistic. I hope I do as well as you, Todd H!