Where to Run

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
benjohn

Where to Run

Post by benjohn »

So far, I've done almost all my running on the pavement.

I read an article a few days ago (http://saveyourself.ca/articles/running.php) that reckons it's a great idea to mix things up a bit, and incorporate a healthy dose of cross country. After reading it, I dived down in to the park on my last run. As well as getting a whole stack more mud on my trainers than usual, I also had a lot of fun jumping in and out of the grass, avoiding tree stumps, and trying to mostly steer around muddy quagmires.

How about you? Do you run on road / off road / on the tread-mill / along walls and fences / on top of hills?
jspiro

Re: Where to Run

Post by jspiro »

I love the treadmill (never thought I'd say that in my life) because I can read my KindleDX on it. And it gives me a controlled environment to measure my progress.

Otherwise, I'm usually wearing my running shoes, and will jog almost anywhere I need to go outdoors, if it isn't awkward.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Before anyone asks, if I do an iPad version of Get Running for use on a tread mill, I'm not putting in an embedded book reader.

:-)

I tried a treadmill once for about 20 seconds and found it pretty unnerving, but I can definitely understand the attraction with the weather outside at the moment. Then again, I've been trying the suggested park running and it's kind of fun splashing through puddles and mud. Think it took a lot more energy to do it too – my legs feel stiff after, which I've not had from a run in a while.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I love the treadmill but only for power walking, I don't feel safe running on it! lol I love running in the woods, I think I love being out in the 'great outdoors' anyway with my dogs so thats where i like running.

I really like it when it's cold and raining too!!! I know!! I am a bit mad like that!!! I just have really fond memories of cross country at school - not the running part but being out of school with my friends i think...anyway - so far the outdoor thing is still working for me!

I don't like the noise of running on a treadmill either! :)