Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
BendeyWendy

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by BendeyWendy »

Hi, I'm Alyson from England. I'm 41 and really unfit :(
I work 2 days a week in a lovely local park, so I've started walking round it at lunchtime. I do a little jogging if there's no one around to see me, but can only do 20-30 seconds. I did my first Parkrun yesterday, in 53:20 - not a great time but less than an hour and something to work on.
I have very tight calf muscles and they hurt from just walking, and I'm very prone to getting shin splints even with the little bit of jogging I can do. I do stretch before and after but with little effect. I'd welcome any suggestions.
I will be starting C25K on Tuesday when I'm next in the park. Will have to see how I get on. Wish me luck! ;)
MiriPenn

Post by MiriPenn »

Hi, I'm Emma from Wales and I started week 1 run 1 this morning. I've always hated exercise; I trained for and managed to run a 5k about 4 years ago but am back to 0 fitness again now. My husband is a runner and I've got the idea in my head that I'm going to join him for our local half marathon in October (running for the charity I work for). But one day at a time, 8x1 minute killed me today!!
Beckey79

Post by Beckey79 »

Hi all, new to the board and fairly new to running. I am currently on week 5 run 3 and after emailing benjohn i decided to jump on the board. Funny thing i thought the app had a glitch when I checked my run for tomorrow and it told me I needed to run for 20 mins straight :). Benjohn gave me some encouragement and told me to check out the board.

Little bit about myself. I am a 34 year old mother of two technically three if you count the hubs. I have a 6 year old ball off fire and an 8 month old angel. I was extremely unhealthy 2 years ago when decided i would change my life style. I lost 80ish lbs and got pregnant and unfortunately gained it all back but i am up and at it again. I've lost 42 so far and have a lot more to go, but i will get there eventually.

After seeing my own struggle with breathing after topping a flight of stairs and watching my uncle pass away from lung cancer i decided it was time to get healthy. Along with my weight loss i have also stopped smoking and helped others with their weight loss goals.

I have numerous goals at this point in my life and my first 5k is on March 16th followed by a 10k in April.

Oops to much talking on my part. Nice to meet everyone!
Stryk3r

Post by Stryk3r »

Hi everyone. Just finished my first run on an icy snowy day and I feel great.
Fliss

Post by Fliss »

Hi,

I'm just into week two so very early days. I've been talking about trying running for years but decided this is the one where I finally do it!
I walk our border collie for about 40 minutes each day and I've practised yoga for years but never do much that gets my heart rate up so decided to take up running. My current goal is to take part in our local 5k park run this Summer, as soon as practicable after my 65th birthday! (There MUST BE a mistake on my birth certificate.)
Good luck to any one else starting out.
Fliss
neldana

Post by neldana »

Today is my first day. Wish me luck.
kashers

Post by kashers »

Hi there

I have just completed run 1 of week 3 and I love it. I have never run and could hardly run to the bottom of my road. I even want to run on my rest days! I am 42 and extremely unfit. Great app !
kashers

Post by kashers »

neldana wrote:Today is my first day. Wish me luck.
Good luck I am on week 3. It is great !
fastnetqueen

Post by fastnetqueen »

Hi. Started today.. W1R1 in the rain... It was hard. Tried this before but life took over!!! Am carrying some extra weight so knew it would not be easy. Determined to get fitter. Off to work now!!!
MissMud

Post by MissMud »

Hi all,
Mother of 2 1/2 boys here, finally making some time for myself again. I run on a large quad track we made for our boys to ride on. Lots of ups and downs and hard work but it's fun. Seen a deer Saturday morning on edge of the woods. She looked at me as if I were crazy. Anyways, I'm just glad I found this App to make me stick to it! Starting week 2 tomorrow :)

Happy and healthy day to you all!

Misa