Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Belliesgonnagetya

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Belliesgonnagetya »

Hi to everyone! I downloaded the app at the start of the year but have only just started as I was emmigrating to Singapore. Thought I should get used to the heat before trying.

Really impressed and suprised how quickly the time seems to pass, although I suspect it will get much harder.

The heat here is a killer, my first run was in 32'C heat - any tips apart from hydrate and stay out of the sun?
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Belliesgonnagetya wrote:Really impressed and suprised how quickly the time seems to pass, although I suspect it will get much harder.
I didn't really find that. Some runs are harder, and some are easier, but I think it's mostly about how you are when you do the run. You grow as you do the runs, so when you do the longer runs, you're kind of ready for them. Hope that's good news :-)
Belliesgonnagetya wrote:The heat here is a killer, my first run was in 32'C heat - any tips apart from hydrate and stay out of the sun?
Not too much of a problem here in the UK, most of the time! I did some runs when I was on holiday last year. It got very hot during the day, but I found that if I got out early in the morning, it was still reasonably cool and fresh.
reelon

Post by reelon »

Hello everyone I'm Daniel. I downloaded the app this morning and got started. I once was running, but then stop for a long time......I need to lose some weight. I love that the app tells me how much running/walking time I have left. I started running with my dog and she loved it too!!! I run States side in Georgia.
beckstar

Post by beckstar »

hello all!

my name is becky and ive currently just completed week 7 of the getrunning app! i did weeks 1-6 indoors on the treadmill with the exception of one run that i did on the way to the gym, pushing a jogging stroller.

i have three children, two of them under 3 years old, so i enjoy running at the gym as they're able to go to the play area and i get some peace and quiet. when i realized that running on the street is a bit more challenging than treadmill running, i decided i should do all the remaining runs outdoors. besides, i live in southern california and i should finish just before the weather gets hot. im also considering beach runs!

ive recently (ok, yesterday) registered to train and run the half marathon at disneyland this september...im a little worried, but i like the idea of continuing training after im finished with getrunning (that is, unless you come up w/ a 5 to 10k app, then im buying it!)...

i have some weight to lose, but im happy to say that since i started the app, ive lost 12 pounds...only a bit more than 15 to go!

i never fancied myself a runner, but would find that while i was taking walks, every once in awhile id get the urge to just start running...ive always envied runners and been fascinated w/ their discipline. i was a roller speed skater as a child, so my endurance is good...i find i struggle most w/ my mind...and ive had some pain in my shins/legs that often takes more than a day's rest to subside...

anyways. thanks for this app, and community. im very grateful!
cryptogran

Post by cryptogran »

Hey Becky! Good on you for aiming for a half marathon! I am toying with the idea of one in September too!

I am doing C25K for the second time round at the moment and am up to Week 4. When I did it early last year I managed to keep going after the nine weeks and build up to running 12 kms in a local fun run mid-year, and then 14kms a couple of months later in the Sydney City2Surf (well.. almost ran 14 kms... I walked the 1.5 kms of the renowned "Heartbreak Hill"!!). I did a lot of my training on a treadmill, too, and found that if I upped the gradient to 1.0 in the gym I could then do that same distance outside without too much trouble.

Do you have a plan for building up to 21 kms by September? I've seen programs up to 10kms but not any that go further.

Good luck with Wk 8! Beth
beckstar

Post by beckstar »

hey beth.

i registered through a charity for aids research, and they train their runners. i have to raise money for the charity as well in order to be accommodated at the race (they book hotel, etc.). the race is at disneyland here near my home in los angeles...so i dont have to go far, but i do love the park.

thanks for the tip about treadmill gradient. i ran tonight run 1 week 8 but didnt adjust the gradient. my legs were pretty sore from my run earlier in the week.
Lazy_Laura

Post by Lazy_Laura »

I have recently realised how lazy I have become. When I was a student I used to get up early and go running several days a week. In the last 6 months, I've done nothing remotely looking like exercise, and it's really bumming me out now. A friend of mine was talking about how she'd entered a 10k in May if I wanted to join her. I seriously considered it, but I just don't think I'd be ready. I am ready to get out running again and I'm delighted to have found this app, and this forum.

Tomorrow is Day 1 for me, and I'm really looking forward to it. I am going to look into entering a race at some point in the not too distant future, I need something to focus on, I don't have a lot of motivation, unless I have a target. So I'm going to see how I go for a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll be hooked!!
randomgrl

Post by randomgrl »

So basically this is my life...

I am 14 and am consitered to be at risk of obesity. In the media they are constantly going on about obesity in children and yadayadayada. Then they go on about how body image affects so many teenages and most of the time it's negative. Then they will go on about the obesity thing again.

Let me tell you that I DO NOT sit on my bum all day, but I am actually really involved in alot of sports. I am a pretty good swimmer and I am really 'fit' when it comes to that as in I can sprint freestyle for over an hour and still be getting a consistent time in the low 30s. Also my main stroke is butterfly and almost everyone knows how much endurance you need for that one!

I also play alot of other sports such as netball, soccer, and basketball. I used to do dancing but I decided to quit because unlike everyone else (petite) I was more of a 'manly' muscular build. (oh the joys of butterfly).

Anyway I can say when it comes to running, I try to avoid it as much as possible. That's why I got this app. A couple of months ago, I did the first session but then stopped as I 'had too much to do'. I am going to start again and hope for my sake that I can stick to it as we have athletics carnivals comming up and for P.D.H.P.E we have to run 1k and I don't want to be the slow one talking 10 minuites becuase I have to walk the whole thing :(

Hopefull I will have a sucsess story to share in the near future and wish everyone else luck on this app. Hopefully I can change my life and get out of these size 16 (austalian) clothes. Because I don't like them.

Wish me luck :)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) thanks for the background! It sounds like you're already ignoring the media and getting on with being healthy anyway. Good for you!

I'm not going to wish you luck. I decided it's not the right thing to say to people, even if it is just a way to say that I support you :-) You don't need luck; you've got everyhing that you need to get yourself running, and this App is just a bit of help. If you're swimming well and playing sport, you can do this. I hope you'll enjoy the running as much as everything else you're doing! Happy running!

Benjohn.
jessicaboykin

Post by jessicaboykin »

Hi I'm Jessica. Twenty-six year old former high school athlete trying to get it together after about ten years of being lazy. I love the app! I'm actually looking forward to running which is a miracle!