Finished Get Running!

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Devlev

Finished Get Running!

Post by Devlev »

I have just completed Get Running!

I always hated running. I tried it a few times when I was twenty-something, but gave up in disgust. Now, almost 30 years later, I decided to give it another shot. Without any enthusiasm, but because a friend told me it could help to relieve my chronic lower-back problems (general pain & stiffness).

I started last year, and running tuned out to be sort of fun – apparently I started, 30 years ago, much to fast and so became exhausted in minutes. Running turns out to be fun if you start really slow…

After a couple of weeks, my lower back gave out. That was not directly related to running: giving out is what my lower back did from time to time. Then winter kicked in and I couldn’t run because of snow & ice. In spring I had to psych myself to get off the couch, which took to June, and then the holidays came and I went on a trip and couldn’t get myself to continue running.

Back in august, I picked up Get Running where I left off in June (OK, it took a few re-runs of earlier weeks to get in shape again) and last week I finished Get Running: now I can run for 30 minutes quite easily. I’m looking forward to each run and feel great afterwards.

Also my lower back is much better now (*knocks on wood*). Half a year ago I couldn’t pick up a fallen pencil without squatting and getting up with a deep grunt. Now I can pick things up from the floor just by bending over with (almost) straight legs (thanks, I guess, to the stretching after each run).

The big question is: now what? I installed a new app, ‘Run keeper’ and I am trying to create some DIY running schedules that will coach me to my next goal: running 10 K on 16 march 2013 (which will be my 50th birthday ;)

Keep running!

Rob
Blondebexwants2run

Re: Finished Get Running!

Post by Blondebexwants2run »

Firstly- well done u- it's great that u finally did it especially being a run hater! Which is what I was- I haven't hated it so far since starting the app so I'm hoping the bad weather won't hold me back!
Celia

Re: Finished Get Running!

Post by Celia »

Well done from another former run hater too. And
Also for the tip off re Run Keeper as I was wondering how to plan my week.
Starting off slow and for me staying pretty slowish is the key and I am loving it. Something that I never in a million years thought I'd say. I plan to enter some races too
Good Luck! Celia