What are you going to do next?

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
benjohn

What are you going to do next?

Post by benjohn »

I've finished Get Running, and I'm pretty happily running along for 30 minutes now. When I started, I imagined that this would be enough for me, and in many ways it is – I've achieved what I wanted, which is to be healthy enough to do that reasonably easily. I'm finding that I need another target though, otherwise I skip runs, and that'll end up with me maybe stopping one day!

I think I need new goal. Have you got one, and what is it?
kstrychnine8

Re: What are you going to do next?

Post by kstrychnine8 »

well, not even halfway throught he nine weeks i developed shin splints (bummer!) THEN my gallbladder decided to mutiny and i took two months off training (double bummer!). when i went back to the gym i switched over to the elliptical (same speed though) and finished my training on that. Now that im done the 9 weeks and can run the 30 mins i will be running the 30 on the elliptical and running on the treadmill a few minutes to wean myself and my shins back on. so basically i will be steadily increasing my overall run time and switching back to the treadmill at the same time!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I'm really glad you found a way to continue, and you had the determination to do so – that's brilliant!

I know nothing about shin splints, other than I understand they hurt! Are they something that happens if you push yourself too much? If you build up gently, are they less likely to happen?

:-) I've heard some "alternative thoughts" that they're caused by running in trainers (which makes as land on the heel) on predictable surfaces (which means each stroke we run stresses the foot and the rest of the body in the same way). Apparently we should all be running bare foot on the beach, or something. I'm not sure :-)

Anyway – good luck with your approach, and well done finishing for Valentine!

All the best!
benji

Post by benji »

Hello all, hope the running is going well for all of you in this nice weather!

First of all I just want to say how great I think this app (& forum!) is - I have never been a very active person but the ease of use and sheer 'friendliness' of this app kept me going the whole way!
I finished the 9 weeks yesterday (woop!) so I'm a little bit lost as to where to go from here! I'm running the Great Manchester Run for the Stroke Association on the 16th of May (http://www.justgiving.com/ben-paulden if you want to donate!) which is a 10k and will take me a bit longer than the 30 mins I can do now!

However, curiosity got the better of me at the weekend and I wanted to see how long I could keep running for over the 30 minutes I was meant to do - I ended up running 6.5 miles which is just over 10k! It took me just under 68 minutes so now I'm much more confident about the GMR.
A word of warning to anyone who has similar ideas though - my knees hurt for a full day afterwards which just goes to show you that even if your muscles, lungs & heart can keep up that doesnt mean your joints can! That's what happens when you go off-plan! :)

Anyway, thanks again for a great app - I'll be keeping an eye out for any new developments you guys make, you definately know how to make happy (& healthy) customers!

Ben
Biscottisblog

Post by Biscottisblog »

In February 2010, I set myself the dream of being able to run a Race for Life 5k on July 18th. Starting from scratch and having hated running for my whole 35 year old life, I can now run a 45 minute 5k in one go. It's not quick, I grant you, but it has been the best fitness achievement of my entire life.

I never dared to believe that I would be able to run the whole way and now, I can't wait to take part. Hopefully, I will also have my time down a bit by then! :D

Get Running actually got me running outside (which I really love now!), the treadmill feedback I had clung to so desperately was replaced by the lovely voice over lady and Benjohn's amazing support, via my blog, twitter and this forum. He has turned us ordinary people into actual runners and I can't thank him enough!

This time next year, I hope to be writing about running my first 10k..!
biscottisblog.co.uk xxx
donnag

Post by donnag »

Thanks for the great app. I was a die-hard walker but couldn't run more than a few minutes at a time. Now I'm a runner! I was really hoping you'd come up with the 10k app by the time I finished the 5k one. I'm going to keep up with the running a few days a week, in hopes of completing my first 10k next fall. My motivation for training is a trip to Disney World in Florida to participate in one of their many 1/2 marathons. I'm shooting for the Princess 1/2 Marathon. Its usually in February or March. Maybe you'll come and join me?
Hruns!

Post by Hruns! »

I have entered a 10k on the 12th sept! Complete madness but it's sponsored to raise money for MBM which I do voluntary work for so have the motivation as everyone obviously has faith in me! It's going to be a challenge so will keep on at it, I still can't get over the fact that I enjoy running :-)
Bassbaritone

Post by Bassbaritone »

Hi There,

I'm on week 7 of the C25K programme, running for 25 minutes solid now, and I really want to move on to 8 or 10k when I'm done. Whilst I can see there are other apps available that do roughly the same job as Get Running, I really would like to carry on with the same programme. You guys have got it just right! Please, PLEASE extend Get Running to take me to the next milestone. I'm the thinnest and lightest I've been since uni and that's saying a lot for someone who has been overweight my whole life! I really think I can get myself in shape this time and it's all down to this splendid app. Don't leave us hangin' as they say!

All the very best

bb
Sunshinerunner

Post by Sunshinerunner »

Hi thanks to you I can now add my comments here as i have graduated but wish you had a 10k app. Can't thank you enough. I am now a runner and no one can take that away from me. I did it and it's all thanks to you and your programme. Will keep checking for the new app. Thanks again