Finished early

Finished Get Running? Tell us how you did, and chat with other Get Running graduates about what to do next!
Cjtrogers06

Finished early

Post by Cjtrogers06 »

I finished early but I'm slow. I can run a 3k in about 40 mins. Does anyone know how to get faster and start a 10k now?
matt

Re: Finished early

Post by matt »

Hi!

One thing you might want to look into is interval training, or "Fartlek" (really!) training. They're similar ideas, with the core of it being that you jog at your normal pace, but every now and again sprint harder for a short distance. Then, you drop back to either walking or jogging at your normal pace until you've fully recovered. Then repeat.

If you're a slow runner like me, I think you'd also really enjoy John Bingham's book "No Need for Speed". It helps get to grips with enjoying running no matter what speed you do, and he also discusses interval training in one of the later chapters, just taking a page or two to describe a simple training plan to help you get faster.

It also covers a lot of the other aspects of running that you'll find helpful if you want to reach for longer distances or faster speeds -- eating habits, how to keep motivated, running in bad weather, avoiding injuries, and so on. I certainly found a lot of useful stuff in it when I finished the C25K and wanted to carry on with running.

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Cjtrogers06

Post by Cjtrogers06 »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback. John Bingham is the "Penguin" right? I'm traveling tomorrow and the book sounds like a good read for my trip.
matt

Post by matt »

Yup, he's the "Penguin" :D I reckon it's a good book for travelling. It's a nice easy read.
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)