Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LancLass

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by LancLass »

Hi everyone! I'm Jane and last January I celebrated my 50th birthday in Barcelona with family and friends. Whilst I was there, I was discussing ways to keep fit as I'm getting older and my cousin (who's a keen runner) invited me to run with him in the park and along the beachfront. I'd never run before and I really enjoyed it but said to him that running in the sunshine in Barcelona is one thing - running in cold wet England is another.... So to keep it interesting, we have both agreed to run the Barcelona Half Marathon in February next year! I've looked and tried a couple of C25K apps with mixed success but have now started with this one and am about to do W2 R2. I really feel that this app pushes me to just the right limit but at a rate of progress I can manage and feel quite optimistic that I can complete the half marathon (even if I have to walk a tiny bit of the way!) Great to hear everyone else's stories and experiences too! :D
Nej

Post by Nej »

Hello everyone just joined this forum so hopefully im doing this right lol...im hoping to make friends with others who are using this app and perhaps get some tips and ideas when the going gets tough. ive just finished w3r3 and im feeling great. Ive lost 16lbs and im toning my body. Getting fit feels great! Ive decided to repeat w3 though as im not ready to progress onto w4 yet....but thats ok. I want to do this properly and I dont want it to feel like a chore....
At this moment I prefer to use the treadmill at my local gym as I know I cant stop even I want too! Also i like to finish off with a 30 min swim and treat myself to a soak in the jacuzzi :-D
im determined to get fit so good luck everyone....lets do this!!!!
Boomer101

Post by Boomer101 »

Hi there,
I'm Nic and have just done my first 20 min run and now on week 6 run 2 woohoo! I'm badly out of shape and 4 stone overweight after 2 children in quick succession and could barely manage 30 secs running on week one, but haven't skipped a beat or repeated any runs so far.
I'm frankly amazed that this app could take me from that to this, posting every run on Facebook has been surprisingly motivational too as I've had a lot of support.

I just discovered these forums (so sorry for the late intro!) which I hope will be a further inspiration to keep at it, though having said that I'm loving it now and actually look forward to when the children are in bed and I can get on the treadmill.

Thanks for a really fantastic app as I think I might finally have changed my sedentary lifestyle for good :)
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Hi ALL.
I am Mark from Bedford. I am 51 years old and about 2 stone overweight. I never EVER liked running bar the sprint distances when I was much younger.

I've just completed Week 4 Run 2 this morning in the rain!! It was very hard as I've found it is quite a jump from Week 3 to Week 4. I hit "the wall" several times. I stopped for a split second on the final run when Claire/Laura says "Fantastic .... now you've got another 30 seconds to go" !!

I started this with my 15 year old son but, as he's away for a few days, I have to get on with it. Not having him for company makes it a bit harder.

I love the challenge and I think I am rising to it ... can't think what Week 5 entails!

Anyway, keep it up, guys! And chat again soon!

Mark D
Fragglerock

Post by Fragglerock »

Hi all

I'm Sarah from West Lothian.

Just wanted to come on here and say Hi!

I have kind of stumbled across this app after thinking about trying to do something to up my exercise. Running has always been something that I have wanted to get into. I started to try and run about ten years ago and did complete a race for life but then let it go! So here I am, after completing my very first run and feeling very elated that I am back on the wagon.

Looking forward to the next one :o)

Sarah
ccbutterfly8

Post by ccbutterfly8 »

Hi. I'm Cindy; mom of 5 awesome kids. Son #2 completed his first marathon about a year ago, as soon as he turned 18, and I hit the sidelines along the way to cheer him on (as well as the other runners, of course). I was so inspired by his hard work and dedication to his training that I decided to get off the couch. Over the past year I've read a lot, purchased some gear, and mentally prepared myself, but until a week ago I had not taken my first physical step. I needed a push, so i did the obvious thing: I registered for a 5k! It is mid-September so I have just the right amount of time to prepare, I think. 60 days should be plenty of time. At least i hope so.

Last week I began a walking/power walking/light jogging routine. I'm power walking 2.5 miles with some light jogging in between. I was so sore Thursday and Friday i could barely move, but I walked and swam anyway.

My muscles have begun to forgive me and I am on fire! Tomorrow morning I will begin this c25k program. The reviews are excellent and I'm very encouraged and excited.

I'm ready! I wish the sun would hurry and rise. :)
Fragglerock

Post by Fragglerock »

Well done and good luck x

I have just completed week 2- never thought I would do it but everyone is right on here .... It does get (slightly) easier as time goes on.

Keep coming back and letting us know how you get on
aeh14

Post by aeh14 »

Hi everyone...im anne from pennsylvania. Im 53, about 25 lbs overweight, have depression & anxiety issues. On the good side, ive been sober for 10 mths & want to get healthy. I plan to start this program sunday. Wish me luck!
JanicaRunMama

Post by JanicaRunMama »

Hi! I'm JJ, I live in Minnesota and have always loved running! I recently started my own heath and wellness education business! Unfortunately, in all the chaos of that and life, my running took a lengthy vacation and I even started smoking again... I know, makes no sense! Health education business and I forget to take care of ME! :( I have decided that is enough of that! Today I started running again! Thanks to this ap... I didn't die on day one! Whoop! Next step is to quit that nasty habit, I know that when I start taking care of myself again, it will not be hard!
Brooksi82

Post by Brooksi82 »

Hello
I'm Becky and I got this ap 2 years ago and never used it. Happy to report that I just did week 5 run 1 tonight. It was hard but I didn't give up. I'm finding it hard to keep motivated during the school holidays and it's easy to use the excuse that it's either too hot or raining (fab British weather). The main difficulty for me is managing to drag my 10 year old son out with me everytime I run, he'll sometimes ride his bike at the side of me. I've never been able to run but I can feel myself getting stronger everytime I go out, also the recovery time gets shorter and shorter. Not doing this to lose weight but everyone at work has noticed how my shape is changing which is a nice side effect :) good luck to everyone!