fallen at the last hurdle

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mrdboy

fallen at the last hurdle

Post by mrdboy »

On week 9 run 2, can't believe got this far but completely out of the blue been struck down by tendonitis in the left ankle, I think. Absolutley gutted, went out this morning - felt great whilst running - now in pain when I walk, same thing happened last week so thought I'd rest for several days. Done really good stretches, fitted up with proper shoes and not changed my snails pace since I started so really confused. The only thing I've done wrong is say to my wife at the beginning of last week 'this running's great, I thought I'd be injured by now!!' Anyone else had this, what should I do, as want to keep the momentum and finish my final run? On the plus side bought Nike plus for my ipod touch - its great and synchs easily with 'get runnin!
benjohn

Re: fallen at the last hurdle

Post by benjohn »

!Oh no.

First advice is to look up RICE treatment and do it (find a few more pages with a Google if you need to know more). You can get reasonable compression just by putting on a few socks if you don't have a bandage :-)

Don't run on it if it's hurting – let it heal.

That's my totally unqualified advice anyway :-)

Hope it'll be better really soon.
mrdboy

Re: fallen at the last hurdle

Post by mrdboy »

Thank you great advise! Still painful but resting it til the weekend. Desperate to get out for a run, never thought I would have such thoughts, scary! Thanks again for a great app!!!