Week 5 QUESTIONS!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Katiefairey

Week 5 QUESTIONS!

Post by Katiefairey »

Hey Everyone!

I am on Week 5 Run 1 and am VERY VERY nervous about the fact that Friday is a 20 minute run. I did the 3, 5 minute runs today and didn't have to walk at all during them, but 20 minutes seems like a TON. What if I can't get through the 20 minute run and have to walk some? Should I pause the program during it, walk a little and then press play and keep going? Should I repeat Week 5 Run 2 a few times until I have that down really well and then try the 20 minute run?

I guess I'm also wondering their reasoning for not working up to the 20 minute run over a longer period of time as it goes backwards a bit on Week 6. Any advice or input would be helpful.

Just a note: This is the first time I have EVER run before and I am shocked that I can run as much as I can already. I am still about 30lbs overweight and this program has really helped get closer to my goals regarding weight loss.
starknut

Re: Week 5 QUESTIONS!

Post by starknut »

W5R1 has you running for 15 minutes total. W5R2 is 16 minutes. W5R3 is only four minutes longer than that. Just four extra minutes: you can do it!
Cmstew11

Post by Cmstew11 »

I was nervous about the 20 min run too so today I repeated
Run two and now feel more ready for the 20 min. You are right, it is just four
Minutes more!
Katiefairey

Post by Katiefairey »

But there is no rest! If I don't get through it, should I repeat it?
Cmstew11

Post by Cmstew11 »

I would repeat it until completed and comfortable to move on. I am scheduled to run my first 20 min today and it's raining! I will go out and do the best I can. Don't worry, your body will be able to do it if not the first time, then try again! I'll report back to you when I finish! By the way, I signed up for my first 5k next month, so I have in my mind that I will do this and have to do this! :)
Cmstew11

Post by Cmstew11 »

I did it! Ran for 20 min straight and in the rain! It felt good to complete that dreaded run! I just made a new music playlist and went out to conquer it and totally surprised myself. I know now it is a head game so just think positive and you can do it too!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Katiefairey wrote:But there is no rest! If I don't get through it, should I repeat it?
I think you should, just because finally completing a full twenty minute run does SO MUCH for your state of mind. It's a huge hurdle, mentally and physically, and getting past it feels incredibly empowering.
Katiefairey

Post by Katiefairey »

I did it! On Friday I went to a track I don't normally go to in order to give myself a change of scenery for the big day. It worked like a charm. Lots of people around felt like they were motivating me to keep going. It was amazing to run W6R1 today too, knowing I had already run :D 20 minutes- 18 was no big deal!
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I always tried to pay it back. If I had to stop to walk for a minute, then I just ran for an additional minute at the end and then repeated the run the following night until I had mastered it.

You will amaze yourself, when you complete this run though, its a massive moment when you really feel like you have turned a corner.