Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
veganrunner

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by veganrunner »

Hi everyone!

My name is Mike, I'm 61 and I completed week 1 run 1 yesterday evening. I've already had a couple of 'false starts' with the Get Running program but this time I'm determined to stick with it! My aim is to take part in 5 and possibly 10k runs, we'll see!

I'm not overweight but my fitness/stamina is not very good and I want to improve this, as well stay healthy in body and mind, as I get - even! - older.
saintmiko69

Post by saintmiko69 »

Hi the names Mike, I'll be 43 in November and just completed run 2 week 2 love the app and doing it to get fit and to keep fit.
sparkylives

Post by sparkylives »

Hi everyone!

I got this app a few months back, and have just started using it. Did W2R1 yesterday and I feel great.

I was terribly out of shape back in Apr, and I started walking. 3km a day almost every day. This progressed fairly well until I was doing 10km a day almost every day, with some longer walks in the weekend (up to 25km). The longer walks took a lot of time (10km walk is 2 hours + another hour for recovery, shower, etc. 25km was well over 8 hours in time spent.) While long-distance walking remains a favourite pastime, I realise its scaling up will cause more intrusions into my life than what I'm prepared for. Enter running.

Got the shoes (Lunarglides+3 or Vivobarefoot Evo's for when I'm feeling dangerous), have the gear, prepped my playlist, downloaded Runkeeper and Get Running, and off I went.

W1R1 through W1R3 were fantastic. The programme is marvellous. I ran better than I've run in a very long time (that's saying something since I'm 41). I can't get enough of it, and I'm hoping my body can keep up in the weeks to come. During W1R2, I thought that I could not finish it. Being fairly overweight, the flopping impact of my upper body is not insignificant, and I think this tires me more than the actual run (I know this because I work the runs into my 10km walks; after the run, I usually have about 5-6km of walking left and that goes on fine). As it turns out, 90 seconds was just enough time for recovery between runs that I could last until the very last one.

A bit more about me. 41, overweight, male, Chinese, moderately flat-footed, living in tropical Singapore where running/walking paths are all over.

Anyways, really glad to have found this app, and equally glad to be here. :)
Emz81

Post by Emz81 »

Hi everyone

My name is Emma and I am 31. I am mum to my gorgeous 3yr old daughter.

I downloaded the app a few days ago and was eager to get started but the weather was terrible with torrential rain and wind so waited until tonight when it was clear for my first run.

I am a member of a gym but find I don't go enough or mange to get enough and when I am there I don't enjoy cardio in the gym, I just enjoy doing weights. I thought this app would be ideal to go alongside my gym workouts to get me doing cardio to get me fitter and to lose a little weight. I enjoyed tonight's first session and thought it was good to get out in the fresh air with my music on and liked the encouragement from the voice on the app and letting you know how long left to run etc.

Looking forward to run 2 later on this week!

Follow my progress on twitter @emmamdawson

Happy running!

Emma
Celia

Post by Celia »

Hi, I've nearly finished week 8. Hooray!!..and it's getting tough but I never in a million years thought I'd be a runner. Walker and swimmer yes. I began getting fitter 6 months ago with regular swimming and working out at the gym but didn't think about running untill July when I found this fantastic app. Thankyou. It works well for me and the encouragement and my music spur me on. I'm 52 and have never been fitter! I don't think I could have done it without the 6 months build up and your app. I hope to enter a half marathon next year. Celia :D
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I'm Debbie and I am an avid walker. I have been walking 3 miles a day for 2+ years and was no longer feeling like I was getting anything from my walks, I have tried other programs and did not particularly like them but I am finding this program is working (so far). I want to lose weight and enjoy running again. When I was in college I ran daily and loved it. Even though that was many, many years ago I wish I had continued so I would not be starting over at age 54. Tomorrow I start week 4 and we'll see how it goes.
Wristyinit

Post by Wristyinit »

Hi everyone, my name's Nick and I am 29.

I downloaded the app ages ago too but this time* I decided to get running, I actually started on another app but hated how there was no interaction other than "do this / do that" and no encouragement... which I LOVE with Get Running!

I started towards the beginning of the month so have started with W4R1 on GR. Loved it. Plus, it gives me enough time to build up to W5R3 ;)
Dogjogger

Post by Dogjogger »

Hi I'm Liz,

Started using the app 2 days ago and am on run 2 which I did tonight. I'm a reborn runner. Did a couple of marathons in 2009 and 2010 but then just stopped running. Pressure of work maybe - don't know.

Anyway I've started again and this time as running with my 20 month old black labrador. I have chosen C25K as it will be a gentle introduction for him.

Am enjoying it so far.

Cheers,

Dogjogger
trixyhell

Post by trixyhell »

Hi everyone!

I'm Fee and I've just started running. I toyed about last year while losing weight (2.5 stone), but this year it's serious! :D

Completed W1, W2 totally floored me, so I'm back to running W1 and try and progress next week.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Fee x
gordiniroy

Post by gordiniroy »

Hello all,

My name is Gordy, I'm 36 years old, 5ft10 and 195lbs. Yes, there is more spare tyre than I would like. It's been there for 15 years so I don't know why I'm bothering now! But bothered I am and after reading about this app in a Charlie Brooker column, well he kind of sold the idea to me.

I've just got back from doing half of W1R1 and I've certainly raised my temperature, pulse and broke more than a little sweat. To be fair, to excuse only doing half of the intro, I left the house at half 5 this morning, got home at 7pm, ate a banana whilst getting my (dusty) tracksuit and trainers on and was just starting my 5th minute and a half walk when I realised that I hadn't brought my asthma inhaler! I played it safe.

Looking forward to getting back out in a couple of days though and I can certainly see the app making this easier for me. I'm aiming for 180lbs and just having a regular exercise routine that isn't fanatical.

Edited for awful typos and autocorrect errors brought about whilst posting on a phone.