Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lottie

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by Lottie »

Hi everyone,

It sucks to hear about your knee Osnooshy!! I hope it gets better soon!!

Great to hear from even more newbies, I've found this forum so useful - it's got loads of motivational stories from other people and if I'm thinking about skipping a run, thinking about everyone else running spurs me on.

Completed W3R2 today, so much easier than Monday, and although my legs were in pain for most of it, I did actually enjoy the longer 3 minute runs!! I'm finding they are making a very nice revision break every couple of days!

Hope everyone is well
L :)
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi there everyone!
Well, W1R2 under my belt under falling snow, just started sticking to the ground as I cooled down. Although I was short of breath as in W1R1 on Monday, I seem to have recovered quickly, probably not as cold as the other day, so my lungs aren't burning. My face is burning, just as red as the other day though, I suppose that's a good sign. Legs don't hurt as they are pretty strong from snowboarding. I have booked half term for another snowboarding week so in 4 weeks time, I am hoping I'll feel a difference. I feel very well and warm after this second run! I could get hooked! I must remember to drink a lot of water though, I keep forgetting in the winter months. Sorry for the Bridget Jones type diary here! I am really shuffed and as someone said in an earlier post knowing Claire, or Miss Chirpy as she was nicknamed by a member, is encouraging a whole lot of people all over the globe makes it worthwhile. Thanks to this forum, I hope I won t' give up. Great app! Good luck everyone, happy running! Got to stretch now! Bye!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Am loving the running w3r2 but my knees hurt! They don't hurt during the day at work and I don't just sit at a desk all day. Leads me to believe that I should just run through it. Weather finally got cooler in FL, freeze warning tonight so the run was cold but I felt good. Hope all are doing well. I'm off to take some Alleve. Ttfn. :roll:
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi Altegolibbie,
Thanks for posting, as you are a week ahead of me, it is very motivating for me. The weather is pretty cold and the roads covered with snow here in South Wales, UK. My W1R3 is due tomorrow. I am looking forward to completing it but I am not sure I will be able to if the pavements are icy.
Sorry to hear your knees are painful. I believe it is a common complaint: this site suggests some upper thigh strengthening exercises: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlet ... /6455.html
Good luck!
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

Hi all,
I finished W2R3 today.It felt really good. The 1.5 minutes went by fast and I am sure I could have gone on. I guess this is good and hopefully, I am ready to levelup next week.
Knees feel like there is no oil in my joints but they get warm as I run.
The streets are full of snow and it is extremely cold. But it was so beautiful to run the stretches in the forest on hard packed snow. After the first five minutes, it wasn't cold anymore.
kaybee
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Hey there everybody! W3R3 done! Knees still painful but am doing stretching and strength building like y'all suggested. It's a bit frustrating since everything from the knees up feels great...from the knees down feels like I'm 110 yo. Its pretty funny but despite the pain i am starting to look forward to the runs. Have yall ever heard of 'color me rad'? its a 5k fun run where you are given white shirts to wear And along the way you are sprayed with colored water. they are all over the country here and there is one near me in may. Im a little intimidated to sign up but am thinking about it. I am so excited for all y'all that are running in such freezing cold weather... Really motivates me. :D see y'all next time!
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Hi everyone! I haven't run since Tuesday and its really bugging me! There is absolutely nowhere I can run, everywhere is like an ice rink. I've slipped an slid just walking to the shop. Can't get my car off of my hill so I can't even drive to somewhere less icy! I'm getting runners cabin fever!
I'm pretty sure I'll have to jump back a week when I manage to run again but as long as I don't feel like quitting I don't care!
You sound like you're all doing really well (even with achy knees!) it's great reading how you're all doing!
I can't wait to get my running shoes back on but it snowed here again in the night so I won't be going anywhere just yet!
Keep going!
Charley x
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Charley, I wAs wondering why you hadn't posted in a few days. That weather is unbelievable to me. Honestly, I can't even comprehend what that is like. Hope the sun shines soon.
Cathy
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

It's pretty bad this year, it's nearly a whole Wellington Boot deep in the drifts in my garden! It has snowed all day again today so now it's just sheet ice disguised by fresh snow. Lethal!
I'm going to join a local gym as soon as I can because it looks like we have snow for another 2 weeks yet! Bored of it now!
Keep at it guys!
Charley x
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

K ow how you feel, so much snow where I normally run I would be insane to try it. A colleague of mine recommended I run down the beach. Made it down there with little problems, hubby took dogs for a walk while I run on. Omg, it was a killer, sand was partly soft so it felt like running in quick sand, currently on w3r2 and by god did I feel it. I can honestly say I hate running on the sand, if anyone has to venture onto it, be warned you'll def have a good workout, even run at my slowest since starting, came home totally demoralised, but onwards and upwards and I will def try to find a road/path to do my next run on, snow permitting!