Get Running app not working

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Feelo

Get Running app not working

Post by Feelo »

I went to do W3R3 today and realised it was set at W3R1. No idea why my last two runs didn't save? Anyway I just ran and didn't worry about it. When I got home I thought I'd just hit "run" on the app for W3R2 and W3R3 and skip to the end, just to register the runs. So I did it for W3R2 and now the app won't work at all. When I touch it, it opens, shows the black screen with blue/yellow run symbols and says "Activity 30 Minutes" and then goes to Facebook?!

Any idea on what I can do to fix it?
violabird

Re: Get Running app not working

Post by violabird »

Mine had a glitchy moment the other day - I closed it down after a run and when I went back in again after a while it kept going freezing up then going to facebook. I kept going into it and after a few tries I switched my phone off and on. After a few more tries it sorted itself out.

Try starting up Get Running and closing it again a few times, or switching your iPhone/iPod on and off, eventually it might sort itself out like mine did?

Incidentally I've used it several times since and not had any problems.
violabird

Post by violabird »

Oh and once it went back to normal I switched the facebook function off, as I wasn't really using it anyway.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi everyone, very sorry you are having problems. Could you let me know the devices (type and generation) and iOS versions you are using, please? And are you using the latest version of Get Running?

If you find it goes crazy like this with multiple-tasking, then do the following... Press the home key to get to the Spring Board. Now double press the home key to get to the fast application switcher. Now find Get Running (should be at the left) and press and hold it. After a few seconds it will start to jiggle and show a cross. Press the cross. This will quit Get Running. Be careful though - its like the delete function, and you probably don't want to delete! When you the start Get Running again, it should behave!

I'll have a look at facebook and try to reproduce. Were you both trying to post using the face book app, or were you using the face book web site?

Thanks!
Feelo

Post by Feelo »

benjohn wrote:Could you let me know the devices (type and generation) and iOS versions you are using, please? And are you using the latest version of Get Running?
My app is on my iPhone - 3Gs. I haven't done the iOS 4 Software Update or anything like that. So just the regular 3Gs. I only paid for the app at the end of July. So I assume it's the latest version.
benjohn wrote:If you find it goes crazy like this with multiple-tasking, then do the following... Press the home key to get to the Spring Board. Now double press the home key to get to the fast application switcher. Now find Get Running (should be at the left) and press and hold it. After a few seconds it will start to jiggle and show a cross. Press the cross. This will quit Get Running. Be careful though - its like the delete function, and you probably don't want to delete! When you the start Get Running again, it should behave!
I don't have Multi-Tasking.
benjohn wrote:I'll have a look at facebook and try to reproduce. Were you both trying to post using the face book app, or were you using the face book web site?
I never post updates to FB with Get Running as it doesn't work for me. I just use another app (sorry!) to do my FB updates. I don't use the other app for my runs though as I really like Get Running - I like the lady's voice!
violabird wrote:Mine had a glitchy moment the other day - I closed it down after a run and when I went back in again after a while it kept going freezing up then going to facebook. I kept going into it and after a few tries I switched my phone off and on. After a few more tries it sorted itself out.

Try starting up Get Running and closing it again a few times, or switching your iPhone/iPod on and off, eventually it might sort itself out like mine did?
I've opened and closed it a million times and turned off my phone etc. Didn't do anything.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi feelo, thanks for all the info, and sorry about the problems. I'll try to reproduce and fix. I think that the only way you will now be able to fix this (if it is still happening) is to delete the App and reinstall. This is going to loose your log and your settings. I'm very sorry about that.

If you are holding back on iOS 4, it's really very good and has quite a few big improvements. You can track you runs usinga gps app like Run Keeper, for example!

Sorry again, thanks, Benjohn.
Feelo

Post by Feelo »

If I reinstall the app and mark all the old runs as completed - can I edit the dates? As in, sort of manually put in the old data? Or is that not possible?

I guess it's not too big a deal if I lose my data. I just want to be able to use the app as I prefer the direction it gives compared to others.

I've heard so many bad things about the iOS 4 Software Update from friends so I have been hesitant to update. I know the features are good but people are having problems with Safari running slow and all sorts of things.

Do you mean with the iOS 4 Software Update you can use Run Keeper along with Get Running? My husband uses Run Keeper on his 3G (but not the Get Running app).
violabird

Post by violabird »

Mine is an older iPhone - 3G I think (it's my husbands old one and he now has the 3GS).

Mine was set up to go to the facebook app, but the reason I wasn't using it is that the facebook app doesn't work when it comes to status updates - it always freezes and conks out when I try to update my status (facebooks fault not get running!) so I always update my status manually using the safari browser instead. I had it set to go to facebook to remind me to update as one of my friends on facebook is also doing the C25K at the same time as me.

I did update to IOS4, although I don't get any of the benefits of multitasking as my phone is too old. Perhaps it's struggling with the operating system. Getting a new 3GS as soon as O2 get them back in stock though!

I haven't had any problems since though, the app is brilliant, I love it !
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

violabird wrote:Mine was set up to go to the facebook app, but the reason I wasn't using it is that the facebook app doesn't work when it comes to status updates - it always freezes and conks out when I try to update my status (facebooks fault not get running!) so I always update my status manually using the safari browser instead. I had it set to go to facebook to remind me to update as one of my friends on facebook is also doing the C25K at the same time as me.
Ah! I didn't know the Facebook App had problems. If you use Safari to post your status update anyway, then you can also do that from Get Running :-) If you go to the "Status Update Settings", turn on "Use External App", and then in "Post With" choose "Facebook Web App". Finally, back in "Updates", pick "After Running" -> "Compose Status Update". Now, after each run, you'll launch in to Facebook's web App's status update thing. You'll find a status update on the clip board which you can paste by pressing in the text field of the status update and then choosing "Copy".

Hope that helps!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Feelo wrote:If I reinstall the app and mark all the old runs as completed - can I edit the dates? As in, sort of manually put in the old data? Or is that not possible?
It's not possible, sorry :-(
Feelo wrote:I guess it's not too big a deal if I lose my data. I just want to be able to use the app as I prefer the direction it gives compared to others.
:-) I'm glad to hear it – that's the biggest feature of Get Running, I think.
Feelo wrote:I've heard so many bad things about the iOS 4 Software Update from friends so I have been hesitant to update. I know the features are good but people are having problems with Safari running slow and all sorts of things.

Do you mean with the iOS 4 Software Update you can use Run Keeper along with Get Running? My husband uses Run Keeper on his 3G (but not the Get Running app).
If you are using a 3G, then you wont have multitasking even with iOS 4 – it's only available with a 3Gs phones and onwards. I've not had any problems with iOS 4 except that very occasionally the keyboard slows down.

Sorry again for the problems.

Thanks,
Benjohn