20 minute run in week 5?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Re: Question about week 5

Post by Dawn »

Well done to you too Debbie. I bet it's great having your kids along on their bikes? I can't believe I managed it can you? Also - I am beconing a bit on a running evangelist!! I think I have talked about three others to start so far!!! lol It is impossible to think I have talked anyone into running!! haha
Wendytiom

Post by Wendytiom »

Hey! I did it!!! I can't say it was easy but wow when it was done I felt so great. I think you just have to concentrate on your breathing and don't run too fast! The last part of the course I run includes a hill and I just knew I'd still have to be running when I reached it 8-) Anyways I was so pleased that I managed the run up the hill -it was pretty tough! Thanks for your encouragement Dawn - it really helps to know you're not alone!! It's a great programme :D
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Well done Wendy - i have to say you are braver than me! If my run ended on a hill (there are some in the middle) I would change route! lol Brighton is very hilly when you get away from the sea front - most people miss that when they come down here (I did before I moved here!) ANyway - again, congratulations and how brilliant is it when she tells you that you can now call yourself a runner? lol

Have you ever run on a tread mill? I see lots of discussion about how hard it is to transition to the outside but nothing about going the other way? I joined a gym and although I don't want to run inside - I guess sometimes it would be good to have the option eventually - but I am not sure about the treadmill... maybe should have started another thread...will do! ;)

Dawn
Wendytiom

Post by Wendytiom »

Two out of the three runs I do a week are on the treadmill as we have a gym where I work (how lucky is that!) I'm doing a mixture of treadmill and road. I had to do the 20 minute run on the road as it was Good Friday so wasn't at work, which wasn't ideal. I think the treadmill is easier than the road, but saying that, the road run is good because I can see exactly how far I have got to go before I reach home!! The outside run is alo good because it's beside the sea so that's an added bonus!!

I've read somewhere that to simulate road running you should always have a slight incline on the treadmill - I have it on 1.0. I was supposed to do a run today but opted to go for a 2.5 hour mountain walk instead as the weather is so good here today. I'm now thinking of whether I should still go out later for the run - I'm getting addicted :o
violabird

Re: 20 minute run in week 5?!

Post by violabird »

I've just done W5R2 and found it really hard - not quite sure how I managed it so now I'm really worried about the 20 minute run. Reading this thread has encouraged me but I'm still not convinced I'll be able to do it! I know I need to believe I can, a friend of mine who is a 'proper' runner tells me running is all about state of mind, let's hope my will power is strong enough to keep me going!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hi Violabird - I was feeling exactly the same as you last week 5, run 2 but was pleasantly surprised when I managed week 5, run 3. I just kept the pace down and focussed on completing the 20 minutes. Just watch your pace and you'll manage it! And don't make the same mistake as I did on week 6, run 1 (5/8/5) and assume that it's going to be easy because you can run for 20 continuous minutes - I went off at a fast pace and really struggled to complete!
Chrysanthemum5

Post by Chrysanthemum5 »

I thought this as well when I saw the W5D3 run! However I have just finished it! Thanks to mikel for this post:
"In terms of endurance, you need to keep your pace steady. Once you get into a solid rhythm the time goes by reasonably quickly. The tired feeling in your legs never gets any worse than about the 5 min mark. All I did was focus on breathing out and keeping my head up (I focused on a point and made sure I ran towards it)."

I kept thinking of that while I was running and it really helped me keep going.

Feel very proud of myself!
Donna
nurseb2005

Post by nurseb2005 »

I am starting my fifth week on Saturday. I am also worried about being able to complete the 20 minute run on day 3! I have been having a hard time getting through my five minute runs so I am thinking wow!! Can I do this? I know I just have to set my mind and go for it.
plock14

Post by plock14 »

I must admit that I was more than a little concerned about hitting that 20 minute run this week. My legs felt heavy and I just felt generally tired today. I ran anyway. The first 5 minutes were hard, the second five seemed to take forever, but then the last ten went by easily. I was amazed that I did it. I can honestly say, like so many others on here, that I went from no exercise to running 20 minutes in 5 weeks and all thanks to Get Running. Great program and a great way to start exercising without burning out early.

Get Running and Keep Running.
nurseb2005

Post by nurseb2005 »

I did it!! I just finished my week 5 day 3 20 minute run! I couldn't believe it when it was over! My week 5 day 2 run felt so easy to me so I was pretty pumped about today's run. It was difficult though. My legs felt tired almost immediately so I got a little scared, but I just paced myself and it was over before I knew it! Anyone out there who is scared just give it a shot and you will surprise yourself by how far you have come!