I'm stuck!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jwhite

I'm stuck!!

Post by jwhite »

I'm on week six run three, can't seem to make the jump from the two ten
Minute runs, to the 25 minute run!
Have repeated w6r2 a few times,
But I only last about 15 mins of the 25 minute run.
I do try to slow down rather than walk, but I end up just being.
F@€k*d!

Any advice?
KeepTrying

Re: I'm stuck!!

Post by KeepTrying »

Try slowing down more at the start of the planned 25min run. Real slow.
Ian

Re: I'm stuck!!

Post by Ian »

I know this is probably too late and you've done it already but just in case anybody else has the same problem....

I was not able to complete my w5 r3 for exactly the same reason. I got to 14 mins and I was finished. I decided to do week 6 regardless.

When it came to w6r3 (yesterday) I approached it differently. I slowed down a lot. That really is all it takes. I stopped listening to music because I found myself speeding up to the tempo of the music. Talk radio works better for me at this stage.

Listen to your breathing. I tried to do the first 5 mins only breathing through my nose.... no panting. That makes you go considerably slower. If you can do W6R3 then you really do have the stamina for 25 mins solid. I had been pushing myself a little in the shorter runs, so I'd got used to only just managing to finish them. I was hung up on doing the 5k in 30 minutes and keeping pace up. I now realise that I will never do the 5k at all if I don't slow down for now.... the pace comes later... and It will.

I have been using runkeeper to keep track of my pace and for my 25 min run I was a full minute per k slower than I had been previously. That said, I was still only 25 seconds / k over target pace. I'd rather finish than be on pace for now though.

It is all down to your heartrate. If you are in too high a heartrate zone then you fade quicker. As we get fitter those zones shift and we can go faster, but it is a slower process than just building up muscle stamina. That's my understanding of it anyway.