Breathing?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
keeleyboo

Breathing?

Post by keeleyboo »

I just started the Get Running program this morning. My husband even joined me and my Welsh Springer Spaniel - Keeley. It felt good but what is the best way to breathe? In thru the nose and out thru your mouth? Deep breathes or shallow? After the 4th 1 min run I felt so out of breath but kept pushing on to get thru the program.

I'm excited to go thru this program. I have committed to a 5k in September but planning on running one in August too. My goal is weight loss and to get healthy finally at age 41!
Toilet Duck

Re: Breathing?

Post by Toilet Duck »

Its definitely a good idea to breathe. As for whats best, well I think you've got to experiment and figure out what works for you. For me, when I'm going for it I sound like a steam train with my breathing, for others its less noisey, and less messy.

Firstly relax, if its your first session, I don't think that any of us started the programme without getting out of breath at some point on the programme, especially in the first week. Maybe try working through the first week twice to let your body settle into the running thing. Even if you repeat the first week, you'll still be finished the programme by the 3rd week of August, and ready to run your first 5K in a respectable time for a first 5k event.
HalfMast

Post by HalfMast »

When I ran in High School, they always told us in through the nose and out through the mouth. I think my nose must be defective, because that never worked for me (half the time allergies kept my nose plugged up anyways).

The key that I learned was to try and take deep, slow breaths from the diaphram (not the shoulders) for as long as you can. Time them with your pace and you should be able to get 3 or 4 footfalls on each inhale and again on the exhale. If you start breathing too fast, you run the chance of hyperventalating (not giving your lungs enough chance to get the oxygen before exhaling). If you get a stich in your side or stomach, that may also be not enough oxygen, try some deeper, longer breadths to get through it.

Of course, when you get tired, you're running faster or uphill, or if you're almost done, you'll naturally start breathing faster, that's okay. Just make sure they are still deep enough breaths that you're getting some oxygen out of them, and you hopefully won't be breathing that fast the whole run.

Pete
Mashworth

Post by Mashworth »

Hi, I use my wii fit as well as get running. There are some yoga exercises on there that have helped with my breathing. At the beginning I used to have breathe through my mouth but now I am able to breathe through my nose. This is also an added difficulty for me as it is broken and not as easy as it used to be. I also run at a pace that I find it easy to hold a conversation - not that I have one as I run on my own. The yoga definitely helps. I do this at the end of my runs as part of my stretching!
z3angel

Post by z3angel »

hey there, I am also having a little problem with my breathing. I am also running to lose weight, also 41 in August!
I am not being funny but being about 20lbs overweight (to my ideal weight) I think this has alot to do with my breathing. When I Look back at 2 years ago when I first started running, my breathing got into a rhythm with my running so I am hoping the same will happen this time. Its 3 weeks since u posted this blog so please lets know how you are getting on now? Good luck and lets know how your weight loss is going too, maybe we can push each other. :)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Just a quick bit of advice about breathing…

I need to breath through my mouth when I run. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do.

If I'm running with someone else, I can just about continue a simple conversation. It's not a Shakespeare recital, but I can talk about bits and bobs. A little bit of chat, and then just breath for a while.

I also find that my breathing drops in to rhythm with my running. I think that's a good thing.

If you find you're getting really knackered, then try to slow down a little bit. You can work on going faster later on.
keeleyboo

Post by keeleyboo »

Good morning...I just finished week 3 run 2 this morning and my breathing is getting better. I think part of it is getting used to the running and finding my pace - which is a slow run/jog. I laugh when the program says to slow down (to get thru the 3 min run this week) as I can't get any slower - or at least that is how I feel. I have been dealing with a cold & cough this week so the breathing thing has been a bit more challenging but I'm feeling good. I'm finding I'm breathing thru my nose and exhale thru my mouth. I haven't had any side stitches or cramping so I'm finding a pace that works for me.

As for weight loss I've been struggling with the same 2 pounds that last couple weeks. I need to watch the diet more but I figured I'm keeping active and not gaining the 25 lbs I have already lost. I have another 50 to go but that is the long term goal. Short term goal is to run again on Sunday and start week 4 next Wednesday!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!