Treadmill or Outdoors?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Laura86

Treadmill or Outdoors?

Post by Laura86 »

I have just completed week 1, run 2 but I'm really
struggling. It's lovely to hear that there are others
out there who are struggling too. Makes me feel a
little more normal.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried
running on a treadmill, because I'm wondering if
that could be what my problem is. I feel a bit silly
and self conscious running outside, because I get
so out of breath, and sweaty. Aaaaanyway, when
I run at the gym, I'm always checking how long is
left etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any
advice?

Laura. X
Toilet Duck

Re: Treadmill or Outdoors?

Post by Toilet Duck »

Unfortunately when you go running like most people, you'll end up a bit sweaty, and yes you'll get out of breath. I don't think anyone on this site did week 1 without getting out of breath and sweaty, myself included. As you start the programme, and get to the switch from one week to the next, the jump in intensity can seem quite daunting, but by the end of the week on the next step you'll be wondering what you were worrying about, yes its a bit of a struggle but you can do it.

Don't be feeling silly, or self concious, try to remember that the people that can run will understand, probably because they were the same at one point in the past. And the people who can't run, well if they had a go like yourself then they'd be in the same sweaty, out of breath condition.

As for the road/treadmill debate, the treadmill is great for building up lungs and heart so its great if you just want to get fit, but because your legs are propelled back by the treadmill the experience is not as good for you as getting outside and tarmac slapping, if you actually want to become a runner. If you're going out running and need to check how long you've got to run, invest in an armband with a clear front, you can get one off Amazon UK for about a tenner (I did a review in this forum of the armband I bought). If needs be, just repeat all the week one sessions a couple of times to build up to starting the programme. This will give you a good basis to start progressing on the programme.
richenda

Post by richenda »

Hi Laura -- It looks like we both started this week. Hooray for us!

I did Week1 Run1 on a treadmill and it felt so awkward that I decided to try Run2 on the road. Road running made a world of difference. The time seemed to go by faster because of all the external stimuli. Also, I didn't fret so much about my speed because my only gauge was my own comfort level. I am looking forward to hitting the road again for Run3. I recommend trying it out to see how it compares.

I do get beet red when I run. Yesterday, during the cool down, a really cute guy ran by me. Instead of thinking about my red face I thought instead about how I'll have running in common with a lot of cuties by the end of the summer.

cheers,
Richenda
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I completed week 5 the other day all done on a treadmill. Today, I tried Week 6 Run 1 outside. Big mistake for me. Outside was so hard that I had to start over on Week 3 Run 1. I will only run outside for now on and only use a treadmill when the weather is bad.
Kyc117

Post by Kyc117 »

I notice too that it is much easier to run on the treadmill. I am on week 4 and having a hard time. I am thinking of running at night!