My first attempt - Not as good as I hoped :(

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
MindyTrue

My first attempt - Not as good as I hoped :(

Post by MindyTrue »

I finally realized that I honestly miss being in shape. But getting in shape is a little intimidating - that's why I gave his app a try after my sister in law recommended it. Today I tried the first run of week one and I was just barely able to make it through three of the runs :( I had to walk most of the time - I was so out of breath and my feet were aching (think I need better shoes). I didn't save it, I think I'm going to keep trying until I can complete the whole run before moving on. This is going to be a big challenge for me but I really want to get into shape - I'm so tired if being such a blob. But I'm not going to lie - this was a really disappointing afternoon.

I think I have the resolve to keep going - for now at least - but I'm wondering if any of you have any advice or pointers on overcoming this disappointing first attempt. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Carlos_wsop

Re: My first attempt - Not as good as I hoped :(

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Hi , I completed this app back in November and have kept up the running ever since and am still enjoying the running all because of this app , well done to you for making that start , you've already passed the 1st hurdle by deciding to give it a go .
From my experience of the 1st week I can't stress enough how much better running is by wearing the correct footwear , go to a proper running shop and get your gait checked and they will point you in the right direction as to what shoes are best for you . As for the running try not to run to fast even if you are barely running just take your time , it's not a race your doing this for you . Also breathing correctly as you run is important nice deep steady breathes as you run make sure you exhale nice and slow in a controlled way , also it's best to breathe in and out by using your mouth only this will make sure you get the maximum amount of oxygen in to feed your muscles . Just don't give up and enjoy it try not to see it as a chore , take in the scenery as you run it all helps the time pass quicker , hope this is of some help to you

Good luck
Carl
starknut

Post by starknut »

None of Couch to 5k is easy, but the first weeks are especially difficult. You (and this is a general "you") are going from maybe no physical exercise at all as your baseline, to running. It's a shock to the system! Next time you get out there, try to complete just one or two more runs than last time. Ease into it, listen to your body, and you'll be amazed at your progress, however slow it might seem.
MindyTrue

Post by MindyTrue »

Thank you both for the advice and support! I gave it another go yesterday an still didn't complete it, but did 3 more runs than my first try! I am going to get some new shoes this weekend so hopefully that will make things even better. Here's hoping that I can complete the whole thing next time!

Thank again!
ZumbaQueen

Post by ZumbaQueen »

Hiya,

Like they say Rome wasn't built in a day and I had my first run tonight so know what you mean. It's hard and it hurts but we're going to do this!

I would go and have your running gait assessed like someone suggest earlier. My ankles roll in really badly and I have to have a lot of arch suppport to correct it.

Look forward to your next run don't dread it xx