Amazing run today!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kishe_lily

Amazing run today!

Post by kishe_lily »

Hello all,

I just felt the need to share a positive experience after posting a whole lot of problems on here! I did two 9 minute runs with a 4 minute break today. I'm deviating slightly from the program because I really can't do the 20 minute run at the end of week 5. While we're on the subject, today was the first time I used the RunKeeper app for a workout, and I actually can't recommend it enough, you can set up any training program you like and set it to tell you your stats as often as you need, hearing my pace, time and distance every three minutes was a huge motivational factor to keep going!

Anyway, about half way through my second run I noticed that for the first time I was actually running without feeling like I was about to pass out due to lack of oxygen, I was breathing faster than normal, but at a steady rate which left me feeling fine. I was quite tired by the time I finished my run, but I think that was a combination of knowing I'd been running for 18 minutes, with the fact that it is horrifically hot where I live.

Anyway, really nice feeling :).
benjohn

Re: Amazing run today!

Post by benjohn »

:-) That's fantastic, I'm glad it's going well for you and that you're finding Run Keeper's good – it's a great App! Sorry that the 20 minute run has been a big blocker with Get Running. One suggestion is that you could try slowing down a little bit, you might find that helps?

Best regards
Benj
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

I don't really think I can run any slower than my current pace, I half expect to be overtaken by little old ladies on most of my runs! I think the sad truth is that I am simply woefully unfit and need to work my way up to being capable of running for longer. I'm trying to focus on how much I've improved rather than how long it's taking me to reach my 5k, running for one minute was a struggle when I started and I'm managing 10 minute runs now, which is a huge improvement, if I may say so myself :).

Thank you so much for making the app, I don't think I would have ever known how to start without it. :D
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Thanks.

:-) You've definitely got a winner's attitude, and you are doing superbly! Well done. You'll keep progressing until you get where you want to be!