Unfit and 50

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
wottevver

Unfit and 50

Post by wottevver »

Hello there. I am just wondering if there any other really unfit 50 year olds doing this programme. I have just completed run 2 of week 1 and finding it really hard. Would be nice to know if anyone feels the same
missmolly58

Re: Unfit and 50

Post by missmolly58 »

I finished the program in March. Not going to sugarcoat it--it was hard! But oh so worth it it. I'm 58 and hadnt run before. I had been exercising for a year and had lost 40 or so pounds. But Im still overweight but I can run now. Since finishing I have been running every other day--up to over 4 miles or over 60 minutes at a time. I have been working at going longer and getting a little faster--still not easy. And I still run slow but that's ok. Keep at it!! You will be glad you did!

Darlene
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Just coming up 55, very overweight, diabetic and with high BP. Lost 13 Kg through a virus at the back end of last year and just not being particularly hungry/guzzling too much chateau collapso so I embarked on this to capitalise on it. Now W4 (again - bad ligament and knee pain meaning 1.5 weeks rest and back to W3 to get back into it) and I can't believe when I think back to W1 and W2 and how much I have improved. Sixteen minutes running tonight and yes, I was puffing and it was not easy, but I did it and felt great fairly quickly after it was done (ice packs to be on the safe side followed by a Radox crystals bath helped). Now a glass of red wine and a Bushmills down and I am feeling very good indeed. And a bit smug about my old self who thought exercise was a bit daft. My wife is teetering on the edge of starting having seen how I have: a) done, b) stuck with it and c) how much better generally I am for it. I bit the bullet and signed up tonight to Parkruns with a view to doing a Saturday morning 5K run in July.

In summary - you will amaze yourself at what you can achieve so stick with it.
Bobzoe

Post by Bobzoe »

I'm 58 and started the prog in January I remember my first I min run I thought I'd never make any progress as iv never ran before now I'm on wk 8 and can't believe how well iv done you will amaze yourself so keep at it , it's a lot of mental strenght as well as physical Keep me updated good luck
LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Just joined the forums but thought I'd chime in to let you know you're not alone. Just turned 50 this year, overweight, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure - though both are controlled. Decided that this was the year to try something different and move my walking into "running" to see how I could get healthy. I'm on W5R2 and I never would have believed I could enjoy moving a little more. It's tough - and I go really, really slow - I still feel like I shuffle rather than "run" - and still go out on the horse trails so no one sees me - but I'm doing it. Cheering you on!
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Hello, I turn 50 (gag) this fall and I've just begun. My good cholesterol is low and my bad cholesterol is borderline. I could stand to lose 15 pounds or so. I started this because I've always wanted to be a runner but never took the time out to do it. So here I am. It is very encouraging to hear everyone's opinion on the runs. I'm just hoping to see it through to the end without giving up. I also bought a hypnosis app to make me want to take care if myself. I have no idea if that's working but I will keep doing both. I may search around for other good luck charms as well!