Cross country?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Eskander16

Cross country?

Post by Eskander16 »

Hi, I just started using this progam a few days ago. I completed the first run fairly easily. However this coming school year I would like to try out for the school Cross Country team. I was just wondering if I complete this program will I be able to not only make the team but will I be able to run the 5k distance that a majority of high school cross country meets are?
benjohn

Re: Cross country?

Post by benjohn »

Hi,

Get Running will work with you until you can run for half an hour. How far you travel in half an hour will depend on your personal pace. Some people find that they cover about 5K in 30 minutes. Others cover less, and some cover more.

Once you can run for half an hour though, you'll quite easily be able to increase that so that you can run further. You'll also be in a good place to increase your speed to, so that you can run further in the same time.

Anyway – finishing the program will certainly be a good starting point, so you're doing the right thing!

Hope the program is still going well – let us know, and all the best getting in to the team – you should have a very good chance once you've finished the App.

Best regards,
Benjohn
HalfMast

Re: Cross country?

Post by HalfMast »

A long time ago, I ran Cross Country in high school. I can try to give you some more information to go off of here.

The best high school runners in my time could do 5k a little over 16 minutes. But those guys were very good. The majority of varsity runners were in the 18's. That being said, the big open races have almost no retrictions on how many runners a school enters in the race, so schools are encouraged to bring in as many runners as they can to the teams. I'd say that if you could show up in the beginning of the season as an underclassman running 5k in the 22 minute range, you have a good shot of making the team, though every school is different. And then, let your coaches design a training program for you. You'll be amazed at how the minutes will drop of your time with a good coach in a competitive environment!

Ben is the expert here, but I'd think that if you follow the program and set agressive paces for yourself, you'll be in good shape for CC season. You might also check with the coach or upperclassmen runners about summer training. Likely there's an open invitation to join the guys on some runs during the summer to keep in shape. You probably don't want to join right away, but it may be worth joining them when you are done with Week 5 or 6.

Good Luck
(from an Ex-runner who's picking it back up again)