I've been humbled - W4 R2 first time run outdoors

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

I've been humbled - W4 R2 first time run outdoors

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

WOW, I did it! First run on this program outdoors, and it was tough. I was kind of discouraged at the start of my first three minutes as I felt I couldn't get my legs moving. When I was younger I struggled with knee problems due to fast growth spurts and gymnastics. My knees aren't the best and while they do get sore nothing too major. I do get scared my knees will give out if I step wrong and that is probably why I trust the treadmill more than outside. I understand the surface and I wont' mis step on a crack or a hole, etc. I think fear is what kept me slow at the beginning. Once I got into it I picked up my pace, but more often than not I felt like I was going at an absolute crawl. I also found my chest burning. I quit smoking a month ago, and while I do have asthma and probably a bit of allergies I found my chest really burned as if I had smoke a pack of cigarettes and then decided to go for a run. Of course, I was at a lake with a running path filled with cotton trees so I'm sure that didn't help. Although, it was a new humbling experience to run outside and realize how slow I was the important thing is I finished it and no matter how slow I was I was still jogging and not walking. I feel very accomplished as I always do after finishing a part of the program.
Linda231

Re: I've been humbled - W4 R2 first time run outdoors

Post by Linda231 »

Yay! Laura that is great news! So glad you shared it with us. :D You are doing awesome! I do my w4r2 tomorrow, wish me luck.
Linda
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Good luck Linda! Remember, you got through it once you can do it again! That is what I told myself when I really thought I couldn't go anymore!
couchto5katy

Post by couchto5katy »

Congrats on quitting smoking! Running outside can be enjoyable when you find the right trail to take that is comfortable for you. Keep up the good work!

-Katy
http://www.couchto5katy.wordpress.com