About to turn 47 yes old - just ran w1r1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Alison0526

About to turn 47 yes old - just ran w1r1

Post by Alison0526 »

Just finished w1r1. Tough but bearable. Watched my 12 yr old daughter & 56 yr old husband run a 5k today & I really want to join them next year. Lots of weight to lose too but I am gonna do this!!!
Jeweleechicks

Re: About to turn 47 yes old - just ran w1r1

Post by Jeweleechicks »

I am 46 and I have just completed w3r2. I also have a lot of weight to lose. My hope is to be able to run a 5k with my son, who is a natural born runner. Running is getting easier with each run. I am actually shocked that I can run for 3 minutes, especially when I thought I was going to die on the first run, while I was running for just 1 minute. Amazing!! It works! Good luck!!
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Yay! Congrats to you, that is AWESOME :D , You will be so glad you did this. I just started w5r1 this morning, it was hard and I stopped on my last 5 min to talk to someone,, but thats ok,, Dont feel bad or beat yourself up. I repeated my first week, what it did was help me feel more confident in my ability because the second time was a breeze. It was just hard for me to complete the whole thing, without being out of breath & my legs hurt so bad. It gets easier. Good JOB!!!!
Linda
Redders

Post by Redders »

I've also just finished w1r1 and the first 4 runs were not too bad but did I feel it the second 4 runs! Guess I need to learn how to pace as think I was trying to run too fast?! Pls tell me it gets easier cos at this point 9 weeks seems like a long way off! Still I am determined to stick to it cos tonight's run has taught me how unfit I am but how to stay motivated that's the question? Any tips?
mandicherise

Post by mandicherise »

I am planning to start today but keep thinking of reasons why I shouldn't but it just an excuse as I am worried I can't do it. Help I need encouraging words PLEASE!
Redders

Post by Redders »

Yes u can do it!! I was a bit nervous about starting this programme as well but have just finished w1r2 comfortably albeit not brilliantly fast and I'm determined to finish all 9 weeks even if I have to repeat some weeks. Reading some of the other posts it's ok to to do this if you're not ready to move on a week and it saves giving up. Just think in 9 weeks time we'll be fitter and healthier so hope by now you've put your trainers on and done your first run. Go for it!!
Becca

Post by Becca »

Alison0526 wrote:Just finished w1r1. Tough but bearable. Watched my 12 yr old daughter & 56 yr old husband run a 5k today & I really want to join them next year. Lots of weight to lose too but I am gonna do this!!!
Wow well done you, how far are you into the program now?
I just started W1R1 last night & I'm so pleased with myself for doing it, cannot wait for Fridays run xx Becca
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

mandicherise wrote:I am planning to start today but keep thinking of reasons why I shouldn't but it just an excuse as I am worried I can't do it. Help I need encouraging words PLEASE!
Everyone here has probally told ourselves the same thing, "that you cant do it." The day before each run I talk myself into a nervous wreck, dont listen to yourself sometimes it lies to you. :| Just do it, if you dont finish a run thats ok, just finish what you can, complete the week as planned, do the best you can, and if it was not done completly like it should, next week just do it again till you get it and are happy with it. Rest when you are supposed to, and stretch like your supposed to, if your calfs hurt so bad after you make it through a run, take a few seconds (like 10 or 20)on your walk time to stretch, then be ready to run when its time again. Press on You can do this. :D
Linda
Simongeorge

Re: About to turn 47 yes old - just ran w1r

Post by Simongeorge »

I've got two motivational tips, book your runs in advance and treat them as appointments. Treat them as you would doctors, dentists, etc your lesslikely to look for excuses to dodge them
Secondly, just hang out here, a few of us are on the same week and I missed my run on Friday (the biggie, w5r3), and already I feel like the kid who wasn't invited to the party,as everyone else is celebrating. I can't wait to get out and get back on track so I can join the party again (that's something I didn't expect to be saying 6weeks ago!)
I have to admit the app sat unused on my phone for a few weeks, but as soon as I started, I was hooked, now I can't wait to finish!