Hills: Now, later, even later, or never?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
HalfMast

Hills: Now, later, even later, or never?

Post by HalfMast »

I'm through week One and have a question for the group (posted in the first topic as well)...

I live in Pittsburgh, PA in the states, which is a very hilly city. I've got a good flat 3/4 mile loop in a nearby park that I've started running on, but if I'm ever going to run an organized race in this city or want to see something other than the same man-made resevoir I'm running around, I'll need to start running hills.

The question is, do I start running hills now and get used to them when I'm only running 1.5-2 miles at a time? OR do I wait a few weeks to get used to the running thing first, then jump in in week 4 or 5? OR should I wait to tackle the hills until after I'm already at 5k, after week 9. OR spend a lifetime trying to map out perfectly flat routes through the city (not serious about this option)?

What do you think? Now, after a few weeks, or after the C25K program?

Pete
CostaRica

Re: Hills: Now, later, even later, or never?

Post by CostaRica »

I live in Pittsburgh as well and just finished the program. I avoided hills at first, but then realized that running with hills actually works better... It breaks the monotony and the fact that you use your muscles differently goin up and down hill makes for a more interesting workout. Good luck!
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

I would start the hills now, I live in the bottom of a valley so my only choice has been running up hills, but while it can be a bit of a slog, it's nice to know that on the way back I have a downhill run to look forward to. It's also massively rewarding to see hills that you once found exhausting to run up turn easier until they stop posing much of a challenge. I would certainly try and keep the steeper hills for early in the run though. Good luck!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I've not found hills to be too bad, but I do go very slowly (and probably look quite silly) when I run up them.

Also – be very careful of happily running down hills. Down hill running is extremely high impact. If you can somehow manage to avoid running down hill, then do. Otherwise, take it easy down hill rather than gleefully belting down :-)
kishe_lily

Post by kishe_lily »

Oh yes, forgot to mention the "being careful running downhill" bit. I try to REALLY focus on striking the ground with my mid-foot rather than my heel when running downhill, I find it helps to lean forward a little as you run. Shortening your steps is meant to help learning to do this too.