Week 5 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Linda231

Re: Week 5 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Mr Nibbler wrote:According to the nice lady on my headphones I am, as of about three hours ago, a "runner". A twenty minute non stop run (in 27C I may add). Not much to some people but to me nothing short of a bloody miracle. I am still 4.5 stone overweight (for our across the pond pals a stone = 14 pounds). I wanted to stop - at ten minutes and regularly thereafter until the last minute when I sprinted (OK - shambled enthusiastically) to the end.

Linda and Laura - I so doubted myself today but you just get on and do it. I look forward to your post run debriefs.

This program is brilliant. I was knackered and really stretching - now I can't wait until W6R1 (which seems a bit limp as it involves walking again - joke!).

Ditto Mr. Nibbler, she told me the same thing, a "runner" who would a thunk it? Not me. CONGRATS!!!! SPRINTING, really? :roll: You over achiever! Just kidding. You did AWESOME! I went out this morning about 7 am, I had been going about 9:30 which by then is already to hot,. the humidity and heat here in Florida is really bad right now. I think I might start getting up 1 hour earlier so I can do my running before it gets to hot. As soon as it's daylight would be most comfortable I believe. I had lost 6 pounds I thought, but this mornings scale says I'm only down 4 pounds. I need to loose 15 to 20 pounds. I wanted to stop running at 5 minutes, but just shuffled along. I hope at some point I can actually run. But now the only way I can finish is if I go slow. Ok Laura and anyone else getting ready for w5r3, when you think you cant go no more, one word "SHUFFLE" the lady said just dont walk so a shuffle counts. :lol: start out slow and find a pace. YOU CAN DO IT! GO OUT THERE AND GET!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Congrats, Linda! Way to get that first long run out the way. You will get to the running and not so much shuffling. I do my share of shuffling! Congrats on the weight loss. I know you want to lose more and probably faster, but just think of those leg muscles you are developing and an overall tone up to the body. Running is great for every muscle so just hang in there.
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Lauraeliza30 wrote:Congrats, Linda! Way to get that first long run out the way. You will get to the running and not so much shuffling. I do my share of shuffling! Congrats on the weight loss. I know you want to lose more and probably faster, but just think of those leg muscles you are developing and an overall tone up to the body. Running is great for every muscle so just hang in there.
Thanks Laura,
I know I'm really glad its outta the way, mostly just because I know I can do it now. That's pretty cool, we can do so much more than we believe we can. Good luck on your run 3, let us know. :P
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Big ups to you Linda - I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination but I am very aware of the heat and humidity in FL so might actually be persuaded to get up early if I lived there. However I don't so I tend to go after work (even finishing a bit early to get it all done before dinner) and run through the cold and rain (usual) or warmth (not heat like you guys get).

Laura - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I'm guessing you'll stick with it big time - let us know all about it.

SimonGeorge - how did it go? And btw - I'll take you on with the slowest pace thing!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

This demonstrates the strength of this forum, as we all support each other, my schedule has slipped by a couple of days, and already I feel like the kid who wasn't invited to the party as everyone else celebrates w5r3. Maybe I'll have to squeeze in a extra to catch up. Perhaps those of us on similar paths should agree a time to do w9r3, even if it's the middle of the night thanks to transatlantic time differences! Now that would be some party!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I did it! Oh my gosh I did it! The first five minutes sucked and the voice in my head said I couldn't do it but I pushed through! I even was able to pick up my pace, I couldn't maintain the faster pace but who cares! Lol. I also sprinted my last 10 seconds because well I had just run for almost 20 minutes I could run faster for 10 seconds! I'm in awe of myself... Just feel so proud! I'm excited for next week, very much a turning point! Congrats my fellow runners! We are runners now, who da thunk we would be saying that 5 weeks ago!
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Lauraeliza30 wrote:I did it! Oh my gosh I did it! The first five minutes sucked and the voice in my head said I couldn't do it but I pushed through! I even was able to pick up my pace, I couldn't maintain the faster pace but who cares! Lol. I also sprinted my last 10 seconds because well I had just run for almost 20 minutes I could run faster for 10 seconds! I'm in awe of myself... Just feel so proud! I'm excited for next week, very much a turning point! Congrats my fellow runners! We are runners now, who da thunk we would be saying that 5 weeks ago!
O MY GOSH LAURA, IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!! You should be in Awe of your self. This is AWESOME :!: :!: :!: Hey the 10 second sprint I like, that's more my speed. :lol: Now guess who we are waiting on? :P That right, Simon. Get busy Mr., Just kidding! We don't want you to feel left out. Today would probally be the best day for your run if your gonna do week 6 Monday. I am so looking forward to next week too, Wish I would a did this years ago. I know Laura, who woulda thunk it? Not me!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Outstanding Laura - a big hurdle cleared so the ideal time for a bit of well deserved self satisfaction (and if I may suggest and nice big chardonnay or two). As regards what the others have said the mutual support in here is what makes this all go so well, and SimonGeorge I love your idea of a mass graduation.

My wife has joined me for the weekend at my work location (100 miles from home) so a chilled out Sunday in store - until around 4pm when W6R1 commences down the canal path. Good luck to us all.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Linda, Laura and Simon - tried to send you all a PM but they seem to be stuck in my outbox. No idea why - sorry.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I got your private message! I think it just shows up at being in your outbox... I have yet to figure it out actually!