Week 5 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Linda231

Week 5 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

I did ok, but thought it would kill me, he he :lol: today was trash pick up day, and i got to smell all the trash at the roadside on my run. Lovely fragrance. ;) on the last 5 min I got distracted by a lady in her yard working, had to ask her did she get hummingbirds that come to her yard, cause it was so beautiful and seemed a place they would come to so I stopped to talk with her for like 1 min. I really just didnt feel very focused on todays run, my body hurts a little, from working to hard on Saturday too. Plus im 43 yrs old, with osteo, I just hurt sometimes no matter what. So, I may need to repeat, I am thinking " 20 MIN" YIKES! :shock: I dont see how, but all we can do is try. :) This may take me a second try but o well if it was easy maybe I would not appreciate how far we've come. I have to remind myself of when I couldn't even run the 1 min. a few weeks ago. So Its all good!!!!!! Hope everyone had a terrific run this morning.
Later, have a great day! :D
Linda
starknut

Re: Week 5 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Post by starknut »

Congrats on making it this far!

I have osteo, too, secondary OA, in my ankle. One thing I've noticed is that once I got used to running and it had become a solid part of my routine, the pain was greatly diminished. On my rest days, I definitely notice more discomfort, and if I'm sick and miss a week or more, it becomes difficult to simply walk without pain. Does that happen with you, too?
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Yay for you, your doing it! I did w5r1 today, and I actually sprinted the final minute, which amazed me, I couldn't have sprinted for a minute in isolation a couple of weeks ago, let alone after 14 minutes of running. Now, however, my worst fears are becoming real, the UK is experiencing a heatwave. So the 20 min on Friday might have to be done in the late evening.
I think W5r3 is the humpm, after that it's only little increments. So come on, we can do this (can't we?)
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

la, la, la, DONE IT! :lol:
This had to be the slowest run ever, I made up my mine before I started, that I was gonna finish this. I did a slow shuffle jog, the last min was really tough for me. After the first 8 min my calfs felt really hard and stiff so I took 20-30 seconds and rub them out and stretched. JUST DO IT GUYS! JUST DO IT SLOW. We can get faster later. I'm really surprised :o that I made it, YAY! Everyone let me know how it went today! I'm rootin for ya! Have a Great day! :D
"WE GOT THIS" ;)
LINDA
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Congrats, Linda! I do my week w5 r2 tomorrow. Good for you, even if you were slow. I was really slow in my last 5 minutes yesterday. I was impressed that I was able to keep my pace up for my first run of yesterday. I did my run yesterday on a treadmill so knew what my pace was. By my third run I felt like I had the pace down to what most would actually walk at but I was still at a jog, all be it a very slow jog. :D
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Go Linda! I did w5r2 yesterday, it was a conspiracy against me, but I did it, firstly, the uk is experiencing a heatwave this week, but I ran near the coastto get a bit of a cooling breeze, then secondly, I pulled my earphones out of my gym bag to find one side smashed, so I decided to run using my watch rather than having Claire barking out to all the passers by, making me look even more weird than usual. So no music and no words of encouragement, it made the whole thing seem much harder. After 2 minutes, I almost gave up, at 6 minutes I wanted to die, but I forced my self on to complete it, and I'm glad I did. I had a glow of self satisfaction all day, boosted by trying on my favorite jeans, which were getting tight on me and now need a belt to hold them up!
Now there's the dreaded w5r3 looming tomorrow. Perhaps we could offer a prize for the slowest pace on the forum, I'd definitely be a contender!
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Thanks Guys,
It really helps knowing were on the same week and we can suffer together and celebrate when we get through a run. Simon I listen to Clair without the earphones, I walk alone on our street, I just dont have it real loud though, and I listen to my music also. The ear buds come out of my ears and the wire bugs me bouncing around my neck. Something that I'm noticing is really helping my soreness is that my husband got me a spa back in November for my osteo and aching joints. I am really using it alot before and after a run, it really helps with the tight muscles. Friday is my w5r3, so 20 nonstop, we will see. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to repeat this one, I have not even looked to see whats in week 6, did'nt someone say it's easier than 5. Gotta research that. Stay strong and focused. :D
Linda
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Hey you two!

I am a day behind you. My w5 r2 is today! 8 minutes seems kind of long. lol But I will get through it, I hope.

And Linda, no repeating your 20 minute run just do it! I read on a blog that you should just get the 20 minute run done no matter how slow you are because you go right back to intervals and that it is a huge turning point when you do your 20 minute run. You are so capable of the 20 minutes, and I think by this point it is just mind over matter!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

According to the nice lady on my headphones I am, as of about three hours ago, a "runner". A twenty minute non stop run (in 27C I may add). Not much to some people but to me nothing short of a bloody miracle. I am still 4.5 stone overweight (for our across the pond pals a stone = 14 pounds). I wanted to stop - at ten minutes and regularly thereafter until the last minute when I sprinted (OK - shambled enthusiastically) to the end.

Linda and Laura - I so doubted myself today but you just get on and do it. I look forward to your post run debriefs.

This program is brilliant. I was knackered and really stretching - now I can't wait until W6R1 (which seems a bit limp as it involves walking again - joke!).
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Congrats, MR. RUNNER! I am so happy for you. My run is on Saturday, and I will be sure to post. I am very pleased about how my run went today.... it actually felt better than my run on Tuesday which was a shorter running time. In the first 8 minutes I wanted to quit after three minutes, but just didn't let myself do it. Good for you for not giving into the voices!.