How to start again?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LoeRennt

How to start again?

Post by LoeRennt »

Hi everyone!

I was at w5d2 when I went out for a walk (not run) with my dog, stepped on a big stick awkwardly and badly hurt my foot and ankle. I couldn't walk at all for a couple of weeks, but I have since recovered and I finally feel like I can get back into running again. It has been two months.

But where should I start? I don't want to start the whole program over (unless I really really have to :) ) but I don't know what would be a good point to start. Before my foot problem I was running the 5 minute intervals easily and the 8 minute ones were (mentally and physically) tough. Can I start at the 5 minute intervals again? Or will that be bad for my body or my progress?
Or should I perhaps go through the first few weeks quickly by running d3 of every week in quick succession?

I'm at a loss, but I soooo want to run again! I hope someone can help me out.
benjohn

Re: How to start again?

Post by benjohn »

Hi,

Sorry about the injury. The same thing happened to me near to there – Although I was climbing a fence (not running), jumped off badly, and twisted my ankle. Didn't run again for two months, and it was so annoying! Well done for getting back though – I'm glad you've not stopped :-)

I don't think you'll need to start again. I'd probably try out running week four. Based on how you feel, either move on to week five (and perhaps repeat the first run of week five a few times), just run through week four and continue, or if it's a lot of hard work, then give week three a bash. Don't be hard on yourself if you've slipped back a little bit, just out there again and get back in to it :-)

From the software point of view, you might want to clear some of the runs out of your log. You can do that by pressing the cogs, and then going to "Run Log Management".

Keep us posted on how it goes!
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

Thank you! That has just motivated me beyond belief :-)
I hope to go out tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

And thank you for the tip on how to remove the old runs. That was painless! And it is good to see "today?" with the w4d1 now.
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

I did it! Whoohooo!!
It was just the right distance as well. Hard, but not un-doable. And my ankle is fine. I'm sooo glad to run again! :D :D :D

Thank you again for the advice!