Need advice on Knee Issues

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
rak35h

Need advice on Knee Issues

Post by rak35h »

I'm enjoying GetRunning App very much. I like some structure and a little bit of routine.
Finished W2 and feeling good about that. Still some ways to go.

My left knee seems to be slowing me down. Up to about halfway in to the day's run, my knee hurts every time i land on my foot. Pain is just below and on both sides of the knee cap. Which makes me compensate with the right food. This just kills the rhythm. Past the half way mark, I lose the pain and my speed/time is much better.

What is causing this pain?
What should I do to stop this pain?
Should I wear something to 'hold' the knee?

:geek:
starknut

Re: Need advice on Knee Issues

Post by starknut »

Please see your doctor. Knee injuries are nothing to mess with!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I would suggest visiting a doctor. I too have bad knees and my pain is in the front of knee which is most associated with runners knee. Some suggestions is to get fitted with a proper shoe. Also, upper leg muscles help to support the knee so I would also focus on developing those muscles. And lastly a knee brace might help, but first check with a doctor as a starting point!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

What Laura and starknut said. Visit your doctor and get advice and don't endanger your knees. I damaged my knee as a youngster to the extent of losing my right medial cartilage. I am very careful of it and brace it well before running, but if it started to hurt like yours does I would be straight down the the clinic.

Be careful and stay fit to enjoy this - if you have to take some time out so be it.