Mutual Support

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mr Nibbler

Mutual Support

Post by Mr Nibbler »

I ran week 5 virtually with three others. It was a huge help to have people at the same stage as me who I knew I could lean on if necessary as we shared support, sympathy, encouragement and a bit of humour. The elation I felt at running a whole 20 minutes was added to as I saw the others do the same and their self pride shone through. Just one of the group is still to finish week 5 (and I look forward to hearing about that) and today I did W6R1 at just after 4pm in the unseasonal May heat in leafy Surrey, and very good it felt too with my fastest average speed yet.

So the thrust behind this thread is to encourage people to find others with whom their only bond may be how long they've been at this addicitve madness and enjoy C25K with others.
Lauraeliza30

Re: Mutual Support

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Mr. Nibbler! You are such the runner now! I too have enjoyed the support of everyone on the forum, especially finding a group of people on the same week as me has been a tremendous help. It is funny, I check the boards because I love hearing of everyone's experiences, but the people on the board also push me to get out and just do it because I feel like y'all are holding me accountable to sticking with this. I have a hard time sticking with anything for a long period of time, but to say I have stuck with this for an entire five weeks and have no intention of stopping says alot about this running program and this forum! Thanks everyone!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Now Im really cross with myself I missed w5r3 on Friday and in a hectic few days I have not had time to run. I am definitely doing it tomorrow morning then I'll compress the week a little so that I catch up with the rest of our new little gang. I can't have you graduating before me can I? Or do you think that, since it'll have been 6 days since my last run I ought to repeat w5r2 or something? Any advice would be welcome but please make it quick I'm running in around 11 hours.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I would just do your W5 3 run. If you find it too difficult then maybe repeat the previous run.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

You could repeat W5R2 but I felt that W5R3, whilst physically far from easy, was mainly a problem in my head. What's the worst that can happen? And it is to be a bit cooler today which is a bonus. Just go for it.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Well I went for it and.....I DID IT! 3 minutes in I thought I wasnt going to be able to do it, but, I forced myself on, then it was 5minutes gone (I left my iPhone behind so didn't have Claire for company, just used an iPod and stopwatch) and I told myself I wS a quarter of the way through, then I found my rhythm and it was time to turn around, towards the end I was almost overtaken my an enthusiastic snail,but, I finished it, I can always work on pace afterwards.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Congrats! Way to push through. I think anyone will tell you those first five minutes are the WORST!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Absolutely brilliant - well done Simongeorge. And welcome back to the group!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I would like to say a super big WELL DONE to you all!

I'v just done w2r1 & it was not easy lol so for you all to be at w5 & putting all that fab effort in is awesome, I cannot wait to get that far.
Hugs
xx Becca xx
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

You'll get there Becca. We've all struggled through. I think back to W1R1 and the utter desperation I felt at about run 6, just willing it all to end. Tomorrow I am due to run for 25 minutes and I am, frankly, gobsmacked at what I have achieved.