W1R1 failed - but not giving up!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
TomSS13

W1R1 failed - but not giving up!

Post by TomSS13 »

It's incredibly hot here in the UK at the moment (at least by our usual standards), so perhaps today wasn't the ideal choice to begin Get Running - but I tried. And I'll try again...

I'm 44, 19 stones (but short with it at 5' 6"), with asthma and high blood pressure - and I've had enough of being fat and unfit. I've been walking with the family for the past week for up to 45/50 minutes at a time with no problems at all. So, I figured it was time to try W1R1.

This morning I stretched, then managed the five minute warm-up walk and the first 1 minute run before my asthma got the better of me and I couldn't hear the podcast I was listening to over the sound of my wheezing - so I had to stop. I knew I was likely to fail, but was determined not to let it get me down. I'll try again in a day or so (I might let the weather cool down first, though!), and will keep going until I can do W1R1. However simple it may seem to some people - it'll be a major goal for me to achieve. From there, I'll repeat days and weeks until I can eventually progress onto W2.

Here's the future!

Tom
Simongeorge

Re: W1R1 failed - but not giving up!

Post by Simongeorge »

Good luck, you can do this! Don't give up
starknut

Post by starknut »

Getting started is the hardest part, so congrats!
skpettit1

Post by skpettit1 »

So good to hear that you won't give up!! We're all here behind you mate!
Bigsvig

Post by Bigsvig »

I think we all go through scary patches. I'm no expert, but I think sometimes stress can trigger asthma. So maybe you just hit the right amount of stress between the physical and mental challenges? Hang in there. I'm starting week 4 and I thought week 1 was going to kill me (pretty sure w5 will, yikes)
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I'm on week 4 run 2 today.

The first run of the week has always been the hardest one for me.

One thing you could do is during your regular walk try to pick the pace up a little bit and sustain it. Get running is meant to be used by someone who can walk at a fast pace for thirty minutes.

There is a lot of support here!

Good luck!
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

You may not like this suggestion but I've been getting up at 6 during this heat and it's much more comfortable and you're more likely to be running alone which in my current state of unfitness is a good point :). Best of luck, it's also worth slowing the running speed down a bit, more important to keep going than to go fast.
Psalm3322

Post by Psalm3322 »

Good luck, Tom! I did W1R1 today. Mostly... And, it wasn't pretty!! Keep at it. You sound determined, and that is awesome! Can't help but poke my nurse-nose in... Are you doing pursed lip breathing? In through your nose, out through your lips as if blowing out candles?
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Right behind you Tom and cheering you on. Hopefully the drop in temperature will help. Keep us posted.
yayifications

Post by yayifications »

I too suffer from asthma (but I'm 17 and not overweight, just unfit) and I did W1R1 today and felt like I was going to give up after every one minute run, but instead I tried to persevere and did complete the run. I ended up taking about 4 breaks (pausing the app) because I felt I was going to throw up, but I feel so good now that I've done it!

I can definitely see myself having to repeat the weeks more than once due to being an asthmatic as it is uncomfortable trying to breathe, but as many people say, it isn't a race.

Good luck with your next attempt!