iPhone armband and Nike+

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jspiro

iPhone armband and Nike+

Post by jspiro »

Any opinions on a good iPhone armband? They seem to be not so good, and not that many.

Also, has anyone tried Nike+? Does the N+ app need to be running for it to collect data?
benjohn

Re: iPhone armband and Nike+

Post by benjohn »

I've not used Nike+, but I'm told that, like the iPod app, it is allowed to run in the background (Apple have graned it special rights to do this – normal third party applications don't get this privilege). This means that you can start it going and then, start up a run with Get Running, or with Run Keeper.

Matt has written a review of the armband he uses (it's on amazon): http://bit.ly/dwTrOK and says:

"...as long as you don't mind the side-button volume controls being covered by the armband, it's very good, especially the build quality. Personally I use the new iPhone earbuds with the volume control on the wire, so the fact the controls on the phone are covered doesn't bother me. The little winding-clip on the side is especially helpful for shortening the earphone cable, which used to flap around and get in my way before I bought the armband, so look out for that feature whatever you buy!"
jspiro

Post by jspiro »

After reading all the reviews, that armband looks the best. The Tuneband was my original first thought, but this looks excellent!
SuzyFu

Post by SuzyFu »

I bought my iphone armband from ebay, it's nothing special just a tough flexible material with a chunky velcro strap but it's fantastic bit of kit and it's was only about £5! There are loads on there but sure you'll find something!
jspiro

Post by jspiro »

Finally had a positive run with Nike+ -- uncalibrated, outdoors on pavement, it said I ran 3.6mi when I ran 3.2mi -- pretty damn good. I calibrated it and we'll see if it fairs better next time. I'm not sure if the calibration assumed a mix of running and walking or not, though... So, more experimenting is needed.

Also: Nike+ is a GREAT companion to #gr -- it runs in the background unlike RunKeeper -- so you can change music, go in and out of #gr. The new feature to resume your run is invaluable with Nike+.

I got the XtremeMac Sportwrap for an armband, the newest model, for $20 from Fry's. It's EXCELLENT. A little strange at first to work out, but changed my life once I could stop worrying about it. Handles sweat wonderfully too. :D
Li li

Post by Li li »

Hi guys,

I've recently bought from Amazon a Marware sports shell (armband/outer shell/belt clip with protective screen). Been out several times for runs using the armband which has worked really well. Also comes with a hardcase protector which i keep on my iphone all the time. a belt clip fixes into this and its really stable. Then the clip slots onto the velcro armband. you can easily remove this whilst wearing the armband which is really useful. It is more expensive but i think worth the peace of mind- take a look if you fancy.

Li Li
HalfMast

Post by HalfMast »

I've had the Malware setup that Li Li mentioned for 3 or 4 months now, though I've only run with it for the past few weeks. I recomend this as a good case for the phone. I've used the armband in the gym and really liked that. The only catch is that it can be hard to get in and out of the armband, in case you want to change music, apps, etc. Since running, I've used just the belt clip that came with it. It's a good solid clip so it doesn't feel like it's going to fall off and it's much easier to get to when you need to pause the app or music. I'd recomend to anyone looking for a good case and armband/belt clip.

Pete
Eddie5290

Post by Eddie5290 »

I use Nike+ to measure distance and it not too bad. It is not the most exact application but it a good tool, especially to determine your how fast you are going and improvements.
fazudsaru

Velcro straps

Post by fazudsaru »

Velcro straps or snaps also make it that it is easy to seal and also to adjust how tight and snug the diaper is to the baby. This is especially nice to use on fussy babies as compared to traditional means.
Velcro straps
Mandy123

Post by Mandy123 »

Very mad one of my friends stole my armband and won't give it back the jerk and now I have to find a new one anybody know a good place