I'm stuck

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
beginnerrunner

I'm stuck

Post by beginnerrunner »

Hi there,

I completed week 6 run 2 and now I can't get any further! I managed the 20 min run (and I was very proud) but then dropped back to the 8 and 10 mins runs but just can't get going for 25 mins. It just seems to very hard to go for so long. I think the thought of not having a break for such a long time makes me want to give up! Don't know what to do now? Should I just carry on having breaks. I've tried to go slower but it doesn't help :(

Tracey
LoeRennt

Re: I'm stuck

Post by LoeRennt »

I have to yet run the 20 minutes and I feel so much respect for people who have made it that far, so you are a hero in my book!

Perhaps you can just stick to the 5 & 8 minutes for now and run 20 minutes once a week and think about what a massive boost you are giving your health!
When it's time to move on to the 25 minutes, you'll know, I'm sure.
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

You've just got a psychological block: if you can do the 20 - and you did! - you can certainly do the 25. You just have to believe in your ability. :)

When you attempt the 25, why not just aim for the 20 minute mark, which you know you *can* do, then either stop there or some point between there and the 25, if it really becomes too hard to continue. You can always extend the week/s if you feel you are struggling, before going onto the next stage.

I've just finished week seven, which is 3x the 25 minute ones. Every time I wished it was only 20 mins - just as I know that running next week's 28s, I'll wish they were only 25!

Good luck with it and I look forward to reading your proud post of having cracked it! :D
beginnerrunner

Post by beginnerrunner »

Thanks for the encouragement. You can feel so let down when you fail to complete your run. Anyway, guess what? I did it yeah!! So pleased, it was hard but kept at it and got there.

It was a hot day when I tried last time so maybe it wasn't the best and I have found that some days I do have bad ones, but glad I've got over it now. I'll keep going and see where it takes me.

Thanks again for the support :)

Tracey
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Having a bad run, then going out there again and getting through it – that's a great thing you've learned. Let it give you confidence in the future for your next bad run, or your bad week! It'll probably happen, but you know you'll get through that.

Wow – I'm feeling philosophical tonight!
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

Anyway, guess what? I did it yeah!!
YEAH!!!! :D :D :D Congratulations!
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

beginnerrunner wrote:Anyway, guess what? I did it yeah!!
There you go - well done! :D :D :D