Week 6 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mr Nibbler

Re: Week 6 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Post by Mr Nibbler »

I just want to do a parkrun as a 55 year old bloke and not be last, and then continue to improve until I hit my comfortable weight and running pattern. And be chatted to as an equal by the others, not as some sort of saddo old fat bloke.

The "equal" thing was brought into focus today by a friend at work (a young and very fit army officer) who on returning from leaping about the woods for an hour in running gear at lunchtime popped in to chat while he waited for the shower to come free. He asked how I was progressing, discussed the merits of plodding or pushing myself for a faster time (he recommended plodding for a few weeks yet) and was basically incredibly supportive. Given I had him down as the arch mickey-taker I am well pleased. All the others are the same.
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

I finished my w6r2 this morning, it's very humid and hot. Makes it very difficult. Hope everyone runs are going great. Each 10 min seem brutal to me, but I finished. :D
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

:)
Simongeorge wrote:Cheers mate! I start wk 6 tomorrow, I'm a bit gutted to have dropped behind you guys and have been trying to work out a way of catching up so we all graduate together, but at the moment that seems unrealistic and potentially dangerous so I doubt I'll do it. Talking of the end, as it's now in sight, what is everyone planning to do post-program? Hit another one or consolidate what we've achieved here, or what? For me, I think im going to consolidate and try to build my speed/distance in the30 minutes. The local 5k route is near my work, so I think I'm going to run that and try to complete it in a reasonable time on my own before thinking about actually entering the race in the autumn or next year.
It's really good to hear from you Simon, :) we've all missed you. Well I dont know what I will do after finishing. I am proud of myself for making it this far and will be really pleased to complete it. But I really would like to love running, and so far I seem to dread my runs. I hope by the end I will come to like running.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Wk6 r1 done. I think I made the same mistake as Nibbler, I thought 'it's cold and damp and only 18 minutes in total, when I ran 20 minutes in a heatwave on monday' so I set a brisk pace, my iPhone earbuds kept coming out a whacking me about the face ( I gave up on them in the end and ran without them) and I was just finding my rhythm when it was time to stop, the 8 minutes where hard, then as I began my second 5 minutes, another runner went past so I thought I'd try to keep up with him- bad idea, managed it for about 2 minutes, then I thought I was going to die!! I slowed to my own comfortable snails pace and managed to finish. Not my best run, but at least I've done it.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Nice job, Simon! I think the different paces are actually beneficial in the long run. Its all about building stamina so if we push our bodies a little we will continue to improve! Right? I am supposed to do W6 R 2 today. I have a crazy busy day today so if I don't get to it this evening I will first thing in the morning! I would prefer to get it done today because I don't want to push the last run of the week off to Sunday, and I don't feel confident doing a run two days in a row.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Thanks Simon - you nearly made me laugh out loud in my office (when I should be working) at the thought of your earbuds whacking you in the face - I had a similar incident and looked like a low budget slapstick act and I'm very glad to know it isn't just me!

It is a bugger when you get the pace wrong but you survived to run another day which is what counts. Glad to see the team together again.

Laura - if you do go for it be careful you don't spoil it for the next run. Don't fall for my and Simon's schoolboy error of upping the pace unnecessarily.

I'm knocking off in half an hour to go and do the 25 minutes of W6R3 which is not something I am even remotely looking forward to. More on that later.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Post run report

Well that is W6 done and dusted. I learnt my lesson on speed: that can come later. I slowed down by about 1 KPH and that was almost a pleasant experience. Not going to get me an impressive 5 Km time but I'll worry about that at the end. As a result I don't think the rest of the programme is scaring me as much as it once did. I am sure that by the time I've done the same again three times on W7 I'll be ready for the subsequent steps up.

Now I'm relaxing in my room in the mess with a nice cold pint of Spitfire (to celebrate). A hot bath awaits then a quiet evening and off home to Cambridgeshire tomorrow morning for the Jubilee weekend break - five whole days off - hoorah! Next run Sunday. Bring it on!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Well, I got it done! I had some free time this morning so rather than waiting i just got the awful thing over with. All of my excitement from my W6 R1 was GONE! There was nothing fun about the R2, and I manage to find the biggest hills here in Denver, CO and am too stubborn to turn around and go a different way. I get half way up the hill and then realize what an awful idea it was. lol. I am glad I got the runs done, while they weren't the best runs I am still feeling accomplished. I was at a snails pace, but that can come later, right Robin? I'm a little nervous that that was the last interval run! Exciting, to say the least!!!!!

Good luck to everyone. Can't wait to hear all the dirty details! And Simon, I can so relate to the earbud smackdown! Today, my music wouldn't play and I could see through the glare of my armband to push the right button so today's run was music less as I refused to stop to fix my music situation. It was actually kind of enjoyable, if you like to listen to the sound of your own gasping for air!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Us snails are runners too Laura - the nice lady on my iPhone told me so a week ago! I think you might be surprised at W6R3 as the problem seemed to exist mainly in my head before I ran it, and with pace moderating (and may I suggest somewhat fewer Colorado hills) you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was, but mine was almost flat along a road behind my barracks and back in along a canal towpath so perhaps a bit easier than your route.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I woke up this morning and found the reason for my poor performance yesterday, I have a cold, by body feels battered, so I'm going to have to take the weekend off to try to recover.boo! :(