W6 R1 Complete - Could I actually be enjoying this?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

W6 R1 Complete - Could I actually be enjoying this?

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Is it just me or is there something about completing the last run of week 5 and the beginning of the week 6 run 1? I actually enjoyed my run, found it easier than most, and was disappointed it didn't last longer! Is there a chance I might have tripped and bumped my head, or am I really at a turning point where this is becoming fun? I have totally transitioned to outside running my last three runs, and it is getting easier and easier and the idea of using the treadmill bores me now. Although, I am sure I will use the treadmill from time to time due to weather! Today, I took a different route and I didn't wince at the hills I actually welcomed them. A few weeks ago I would have avoided hills at all cost saying I couldn't do them.... not anymore! My confidence is being boosted on so many levels. I was also able to pick up the pace and sustain it. Granted, I am still slow, but I have more confidence that eventually I will be do an actual 5k in 30 minutes. I don't expect to be at 30 minutes by the time I finish this, but at least I am feeling the potential, which I wasn't feeling just a few weeks ago! I am already looking forward to my Thursday run!
Linda231

Re: W6 R1 Complete - Could I actually be enjoying this?

Post by Linda231 »

Lauraeliza30 wrote:Is it just me or is there something about completing the last run of week 5 and the beginning of the week 6 run 1? I actually enjoyed my run, found it easier than most, and was disappointed it didn't last longer! Is there a chance I might have tripped and bumped my head, or am I really at a turning point where this is becoming fun? I have totally transitioned to outside running my last three runs, and it is getting easier and easier and the idea of using the treadmill bores me now. Although, I am sure I will use the treadmill from time to time due to weather! Today, I took a different route and I didn't wince at the hills I actually welcomed them. A few weeks ago I would have avoided hills at all cost saying I couldn't do them.... not anymore! My confidence is being boosted on so many levels. I was also able to pick up the pace and sustain it. Granted, I am still slow, but I have more confidence that eventually I will be do an actual 5k in 30 minutes. I don't expect to be at 30 minutes by the time I finish this, but at least I am feeling the potential, which I wasn't feeling just a few weeks
ago! I am already looking forward to my Thursday run!
Laura this is so great, so proud of you! Now tell us any tips or advice of what your learning that's helped you the most, because we all really want to love running, im just having a hard time getting there. Keep doing what your doing! This is wonderful !!!
Linda
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I'm not sure on what tips I could give! I workout at the gym on the off days, so I'm not sure if maybe I have built up extra stamina that is making the program a tad easier for me. Stick with it, you will get there. I always find my second run of the week easier than the first. I know my body appreciates the three day break but sometimes my brain wishes I didn't take a three day break!
andyd12003

Post by andyd12003 »

I do the same, i go to the gym as well, and I think this has given me extra stamina. However yesterday I did week 8 run 1, and felt really strong, kept my best pace I had in over the entire program so far, but I put that down to actually having taken 2 days off any sort of training.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Andy, good point. I think that my best runs come from the runs where I haven't done any kind of workout the day before. After yesterday's run and the increased stamina I totally understand why they put in a three day break. Its really helping me improve. As I said in my post, my body appreciates the break, but my brain gets a little psyched out thinking "I haven't run in three days, and now you are increasing it". BUT, after I tell my brain to shut up my body hasn't let me down yet!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Laura: in your first post you said you were "feeling the potential". I think you have captured the essence of the strength of this programme. Thank you for that.