iOS4

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mcl

iOS4

Post by mcl »

It is Week 7 for me and I just experienced my first glitch with the app. Right after installing the new iOS4 on my 3GS.

My playlist stopped but I didnt realise that GetRunning had paused until MUCH later! :lol:

Coincidence?

I will be back to it on Wed and will see if I have a repeat.

Anyway I *love* this app. I never could run - but this app has got me there. Fantastic.
genericman

Re: iOS4

Post by genericman »

I have found a possible bug, with easy workaround. I hesitate to call it a bug because Pandora in other apps didn't even exist until yesterday afternoon...

Anyway, Pandora will not play in the background while Get Running is running. However, if you keep Get Running open and then open up the music widget on the taskbar, you can play Pandora while your run is being timed. Just don't close the taskbar again, or your music will go away.

iPod functionality remains as always. I'm sure it has something to do with how Pandora designed their background play, or how the background streaming API works for non-Apple products.

Got an iPhone simply due to lack of better options when I had to move to AT&T. This app is near the top of the list of reasons I'm glad I did. Thanks!
matt

Post by matt »

Hi both!

Benjohn, who wrote Get Running, has been looking into iOS 4 compatibility and making Get Running work as well as possible with the new OS. This post at Get Satisfaction outlines what's going on at the moment.

Ben's on holiday right now, but he'll be back in a week or so, and will be picking up issues with iOS 4 from any reports here and at Get Satisfaction, and hopefully releasing a new version of Get Running to address any problems people have found.

Hope this helps!

Matt
(Splendid Things Web Elf)
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the emails – I'll make sure that I test the iOS 4 work with Pandora when I get back…
genericman

Post by genericman »

Much appreciated. I suppose it isn't really a bug as much as it is a feature request. I can't really complain about the "lack" of a feature that wasn't possible four days ago, now can I?
mcl

Post by mcl »

It just keeps getting better. Full iOS 4 support on its way? Fantastic!

I have run twice since that glitch, and no more problems. Not with GetRunning - with my legs. Can you fix them too? :P
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I installed iOS4 a few days ago and had exactly the same problem tonight - music stopped but I carried on not realising that the app had paused. Thankfully I was on a 1.5 minute walk at the time - hate to imagine what it would have been like if I'd been running! This was week 3, run 3 and I've had no problems up to now so I don't think it was operator error!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I'm back from holiday (it was lovely). I'll be looking at iOS 4 updates from today onwards… I'll try to post some updates as I go to keep you posted :-)

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm, everyone!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

A progress update…

Right now as I write, Get Running is playing out cues as a background application. Run Keeper is logging my run (actually, I'm sitting at my desk, but let's pretend…). I've got Last.fm playing me music at the same time (the music ducks when Get Running has an announcement to make). Interestingly, Last.fm is actually just an iOS 3 App, so has to be the foreground App, it's all working nicely though.

There're quite a few smaller details to fix up, so I'll get on them, but at the moment, it seems like this background business is going to work pretty well!

When things are a bit more complete, I'd _really_ appreciate volunteers who'd be happy to test a beta version before I submit the update to Apple. This is a very big change to be making, and I don't want to send out something that's going to mess up lots of happy customers! If you're interested in participating with beta testing, please drop me a private email on GRBeta@splendid-things.co.uk – if I don't reply, it's because I've been swamped – you probably will get a reply ;-)

Thanks everyone, and happy running!
NoislessPenguin

Post by NoislessPenguin »

Sounds like you're taking full advantage of the iOS4 multitasking there.

I have a small recurring issue with Nike+ and Get Running. Previously, I would start up Nike+ with an open ended workout and set GetRunning going. It worked perfectly.

Since I upgraded to iOS4, Nike+ has been glitchy as hell. I reset a few times and re-linked my Nike+ podlet, which seemed to fix it – however, when I try to use Nike+ and GetRunning as before, it works fine for a bit, then my iPod touch freezes and I have to restart. I suspect it's largely the fault of Nike+ or my attempts to effectively run two apps at once – does anyone else have this trouble?

Great app though, and looking forward to the new release!