Week 4 run 1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
dani

Week 4 run 1

Post by dani »

I "completed" week 4 run 1 today and oh my goodness it was awful! I say "completed" because I had to stop half way through each of the five minute runs for a little sit down... So not the best.

I came home feeling like a total failure, but you know what? I haven't exercised for a good 10 years, it's bound to be difficult! So as annoying as it is I am going to keep repeating this week until I can comfortably get through it.

I soooo don't want to but I know it's going to feel awesome to do it without wanting to cry! It makes me laugh to think how great I'm going to feel when I can run for five minutes without stopping! Knowing how much pleasure I'll take from such a small achievement can you imagine how I'll feel when I go half an hour?!
Lauraeliza30

Re: Week 4 run 1

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Running for 5 minutes is no small achievement, and I am pretty sure we ALL celebrated as if we ran a marathon and you should too! My suggestion is to slow down your pace, don't worry about speed yet there is time for that later. For now, you are trying to build up stamina. So if you have to slow your pace down to one step below a walk then do that! I find that I go from super slow to faster throughout my runs and once you start to learn that balance a little it becomes a little easier to catch your breath and take a breather without ever stopping. I hope that made sense. Keep us updated! YOU are doing fantabulous!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

I concur with all that Laura said. And don't feel like a failure - four weeks ago you could not do what you can do now so actually you are succeeding. Stick with it, believe you can get there and trust the programme.
dani

Post by dani »

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement guys, I finished week 4 today and I didn't have to make a single unscedualed stop! I'm even looking forward to week 5!
sunshine35114

Post by sunshine35114 »

Well done Dani, just going through week 4 now and I'm gonna repeat it next week as each run has got worse. Not confident to start week 5 at all, so your post has helped me to decide to repeat this week. Hopefully it gets better.
Mrswilkinson07

Post by Mrswilkinson07 »

I did mine today. It was hard. I did week 3 2xs
I think i did great though. I am
So proud of my self. But I do have to say ony last run I thought the lady said I was done running and she said 30 seconds more. I did cuss her out. Lol. Thanks for teasing me. I thought I was done.
I can't wait to do my 5k in oct. in Arizona. I wish you live by me we could be running buddies.
xatata

Post by xatata »

it's good to know that i am not alone on the road! i also finished my week 4 today and don't feel like i can go to week 5, so i'll repeat week 4 without thinking twice.
sunshine35114

Post by sunshine35114 »

Well w4 r1 again, and still didn't manage it. It's so annoying because I've done it twice :shock: :shock: It's those last 5 minutes - I managed three of them walked two and finished with three (so really I've run 1 more minute than I should).
It's really not gonna beat me on Wednesday, I'm now more determined than ever !!
sunshine35114

Post by sunshine35114 »

Well done xatata and Mrs Wilkinson, that will be me on Wednesday lol :D
shannan

Post by shannan »

As an avid book girl, the get running program has been a bit of a shock to my system!! I was very apprehensive about week 4 - going from 3 mins to 5 mins- thats almost double the time!!! So yesterday i failed miserably and completed the first 3 minute run but didnt seem to have enough recovery time before the 5 min started!!! i was still knackered!! so it was a dismal failure!! But mostly it was my brain telling me id never make that time! Today i tried again, and managed three of the runs but that last 5 mins i couldnt complete, and so i abused the lady on the app (in between being doubled over trying to breathe!)!!! try again on friday but gee its tough!! Dani i feel your pain and distress, it looks so easy!!