Week 7 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Linda231

Re: Week 7 (mon-wed-fri) by Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Mr Nibbler wrote:I laugh in the face of W7 - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now what is that light approaching me at speed in this tunnel - it is the express train that is W8.....EEEEEEK

I really pushed it out this evening and did both my longest distance and best average speed. At one point I almost got into that mythical "zone" that runners talk about but as soon as I sensed its presence it promptly buggered off with a giggle and left me huffing and puffing again. Although I could feel some of my muscles complaining the biggest worry was one of my knee joints on the inside which was agony at the end, almost as if I had twisted it slightly. A bit of diclofenac and an ice pack seem to have sorted it but I will have to watch that. I thought it would be the other knee as I had the medial meniscus there removed at age 21 as a result of damage caused by long runs and forced marches in military boots. Nevertheless I am still on track to graduate on my 55th birthday which would be nice.

Anyway running pals - onwards and upwards on Sunday evening and I await Linda's new thread on W8. And good luck with the rest of your runs this week.

Yours smugly,

Robin

p.s. I like myfitnesspal too but have not really embraced its use too much.
Great Job Robin, :lol: I had to laugh when you said you almost got into that mythical "zone" that runners talk about. You know what, I have never even almost got there, Congrats!! My 2nd run this week was so horrible that I dread tomorrows run so much. I realized I never stretched before my run and I usually do, and I kind of felt like I panicked a little. I hope to get up early in the am to run. Hope its not raining in the morning.
Linda
Cardiochick

Post by Cardiochick »

Keep up the good work, Linda. Maybe your cholesterol needs a little more time. Your LDL came up so that's encouraging. Robin, I hope your knee feels better by now. Thanks for making me realize that week 8 is fast approaching!! :roll: Today I barely got thru the 25 min. run. I'm running outside from here on out. I still like the treadmill better. Maybe I'll change my mind as time goes on. Any suggestions for an app to measure my distance while outside? I have an iPhone 4s. I'm gonna push my runs up a little. I'm behind schedule for my 5k training and I'm trying to catch up. I'm running again tomorrow and Saturday, then next Mon, Tues, Thurs. And the 5 k will be next Saturday! :o
Cardiochick

Post by Cardiochick »

I have yet to experience the runners zone. I wonder if it really exists.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

There are a few apps for running outside. Personally I use MotionX GPS http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps/ and costs a mere $0.99 for you American types. I find it very good and you can save all your runs - I'm a geeky sort of bloke and have produced a spreadsheet to monitor my progress (or any slipping back) which I find works well in conjunction with it: I merely take the base data such as distance time etc and extrapolate out to potential distance in 30 minutes at that average speed, time for 5k etc.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I use endomondo, it maps your runs and keeps track of distance, speed, calories,etc and saves the data. I run it on my android phone as I have the old iphone3g which doesn't multitask, but it is available for iPhone. It does have a 5k program on it, but the electronic voice just barks out, "run" , "walk", etc with none of Claire's personality .
Wk6run3 for me today and it's pouring down with a howling gale! Remind me again, why are we doing this?!
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Cardiochick wrote:Keep up the good work, Linda. Maybe your cholesterol needs a little more time. Your LDL came up so that's encouraging. Robin, I hope your knee feels better by now. Thanks for making me realize that week 8 is fast approaching!! :roll: Today I barely got thru the 25 min. run. I'm running outside from here on out. I still like the treadmill better. Maybe I'll change my mind as time goes on. Any suggestions for an app to measure my distance while outside? I have an iPhone 4s. I'm gonna push my runs up a little. I'm behind schedule for my 5k training and I'm trying to catch up. I'm running again tomorrow and Saturday, then next Mon, Tues, Thurs. And the 5 k will be next Saturday! :o
Cardiochick,
I downloaded the app called free pedometer, haven't used it much though but seems to work fine. Wow your 5 k is almost here. I have not signed up for one, was thinking about it though.
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Simongeorge wrote:I use endomondo, it maps your runs and keeps track of distance, speed, calories,etc and saves the data. I run it on my android phone as I have the old iphone3g which doesn't multitask, but it is available for iPhone. It does have a 5k program on it, but the electronic voice just barks out, "run" , "walk", etc with none of Claire's personality .
Wk6run3 for me today and it's pouring down with a howling gale! Remind me again, why are we doing this?!
So funny Simon, today when I couldnt see for the humidity steaming up my glasses, and my body hurting all over i couldnt remember why we do this either. But now, i remember we are trying to prove we can. And to get healthier, loose weight. Run with grand children, i can think of a million now that im not dying from pain. :D
Linda
Cardiochick

Post by Cardiochick »

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't stand not charting my progress outdoors. I, too keep a log of my distance and speed, on my fridge. :lol: Maybe that's why I've lost some weight lately!! I saw a great quote on facebook today. It said " I don't stop running when I'm tired. I stop when I'm done! " I thought you all could relate to that.
Enjoy your weekend.
Cardiochick

Post by Cardiochick »

Linda231 wrote:
Simongeorge wrote:I use endomondo, it maps your runs and keeps track of distance, speed, calories,etc and saves the data. I run it on my android phone as I have the old iphone3g which doesn't multitask, but it is available for iPhone. It does have a 5k program on it, but the electronic voice just barks out, "run" , "walk", etc with none of Claire's personality .
So funny Simon, today when I couldnt see for the humidity steaming up my glasses, and my body hurting all over i couldnt remember why we do this either. But now, i remember we are trying to prove we can. And to get healthier, loose weight. Run with grand children, i can think of a million now that im not dying from pain. :D
Linda

Simon, I tried Endomondo tonight. It was just what I was looking for. Thanks.
I picked the wrong path tonight for my run. Too many hills. I couldn't keep running uphill, so I had to walk some. What a bummer. I decided to push on and make it a 5k, just to see what kind of timing I could do it in. I wanted it to be under 40 min. I did it in 37 min. I guess that's ok for going up hills and walking a bit. Next run will be better planned. Oh, it started raining half way thru the run, also. I was thinking of you and Linda, wondering why we are doing this. After my run, I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment yet. That was by far my hardest run, yet I made it in under 40 min.
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Cardiochick wrote:
Linda231 wrote:
Linda

Simon, I tried Endomondo tonight. It was just what I was looking for. Thanks.
I picked the wrong path tonight for my run. Too many hills. I couldn't keep running uphill, so I had to walk some. What a bummer. I decided to push on and make it a 5k, just to see what kind of timing I could do it in. I wanted it to be under 40 min. I did it in 37 min. I guess that's ok for going up hills and walking a bit. Next run will be better planned. Oh, it started raining half way thru the run, also. I was thinking of you and Linda, wondering why we are doing this. After my run, I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment yet. That was by far my hardest run, yet I made it in under 40 min.
I guess I'm gonna have to check out endomondo, I've only tried to measure distance once using the one I told you about, then forgot to check it after. My run I did at night on wed bout killed me.. No more night runs if I can help it. This mornings run was not near as bad as wed run. Guess my body is exhausted at night. I'm so excited for your 5k that you are gonna do. Awe you thought of me? I feel so special :D You are so right, it does give us a great sense of accomplishment! You did awesome. Be very proud of yourself, and know we are proud of you too.
Linda