Wk 1 Run 1 Tried and failed miserably!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
courteney84

Wk 1 Run 1 Tried and failed miserably!

Post by courteney84 »

So I'm really determined to start running and am even debating signing up for the Plymouth Half Marathon which is exactly a year away. Having never ran before I know I need an end-goal in sight or I'm likely to give up. Went out this morning in the pouring rain and thought I'd give it a go. Huge mistake! I wore tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie which then acted as a mini sauna as I got hotter and wetter! After the 4th small run I thought I was going to pass out! Is this normal or am I just seriously unfit? Did anyone else have trouble with just the first run? I really want to do this and I know it's only been my first run but it's knocked my confidence a bit. Any help or tips (particularly with what to wear) would be really grateful!

Thanks guys. Wish me luck. :?
andyd12003

Re: Wk 1 Run 1 Tried and failed miserably!

Post by andyd12003 »

I think we have all found it difficult, i could hardly breath after my first set of runs, but it does work.

I am overweight, and have been unfit for years, but I have managed to complete my first run of week 9 today.

I think it is a great idea to have a target, I have the same, and this keeps me motivated, although I have set my targets slightly lower.

I have a 5k in July, and a 10k in September.

Keep it up, good luck.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

We all struggled in the beginning, none of us are athletes, that's why we're here. Keep at it, you'll get there. As for what to wear, you need to be comfortable, and just slightly cold at the start, you'll soon wam up. Don't give up we're all waiting to hear how your getting on.
dani

Post by dani »

Just be glad you didn't try to start when it was sunny!

Like the others have said we've all struggled, from what I've read it seems everyone here started in pretty much the same place: complete lack of fitness. But it does get slightly easier.

As for what to wear I just wear leggings with a baggy vest if its hot or a long sleeve t shirt of its cold.
escocia38

Post by escocia38 »

Keep at it Dani!
I just started today and found it really difficult but your clothing does sound like the reason you found it harder.
I just wore a cycling top and bottoms which are light and felt really comfortable.
Keep going and you've overcome the biggest hurdle by starting it. :)
yayifications

Post by yayifications »

Did my first ever run yesterday and also felt like I was going to pass out, but only after my second small run! I felt like I would throw up too, not good. I paused and waited until I felt better then continued but did manage to complete the whole thing!

Like someone else said, I also wear leggings and a baggy shirt. That's what I'd usually wear to the gym but when I was outside I had a hoodie too, but I only run in my back field (one of the perks of living on a farm?) so I can easily take it off and leave it somewhere or come back inside if really necessary.