I'm back!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Simongeorge

I'm back!

Post by Simongeorge »

I'm back on the program at last, still a bit sniffly, still a bit achy, I put on my trainers and set out on wk6 run2, where I left off last week. After3 minutes my calves throbbed and I had a killer stitch in my side, but I ignored them, and carried on, soon there were just a couple of minutes left so it seemed pointless stopping, the second 10 minutes were tough, but oddly, not as tough as the first, and it was soon over.
Ok so it wasn't fast but I got there.
Oh and you can all stop laughing now, I got myself some new in ear earphones and they stayed firmly in place for the whole run, no more chin-slappings for me!
And before anyone thinks I was being a wus stopping for a week with just a cold, I was still working 12-13 hours a day and also, I am nervous about running with a cold since, at 16 I lost a good friend who was super fit and thought he would run off a cold, he collapsed and died and was found by his parents close to home with his music still playing.maybe it wasnt just the cold, but we need to be careful don't we, especially as I'm more than twice that age now.
Sorry to bring the mood down but I didn't want you thinking I wA malingering with 'man-flu'.
I'm so happy to be back on course, I can't waIt for run 3 now, although it's a bit scary to have finished the walking parts, it's all straight runs from here on in.
Linda231

Re: I'm back!

Post by Linda231 »

Simongeorge wrote:I'm back on the program at last, still a bit sniffly, still a bit achy, I put on my trainers and set out on wk6 run2, where I left off last week. After3 minutes my calves throbbed and I had a killer stitch in my side, but I ignored them, and carried on, soon there were just a couple of minutes left so it seemed pointless stopping, the second 10 minutes were tough, but oddly, not as tough as the first, and it was soon over.
Ok so it wasn't fast but I got there.
Oh and you can all stop laughing now, I got myself some new in ear earphones and they stayed firmly in place for the whole run, no more chin-slappings for me!
And before anyone thinks I was being a wus stopping for a week with just a cold, I was still working 12-13 hours a day and also, I am nervous about running with a cold since, at 16 I lost a good friend who was super fit and thought he would run off a cold, he collapsed and died and was found by his parents close to home with his music still playing.maybe it wasnt just the cold, but we need to be careful don't we, especially as I'm more than twice that age now.
Sorry to bring the mood down but I didn't want you thinking I wA malingering with 'man-flu'.
I'm so happy to be back on course, I can't waIt for run 3 now, although it's a bit scary to have finished the walking parts, it's all straight runs from here on in.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME BACK SIMON :D We are very happy your back, I would have did the same thing you did, you could injure yourself running sick. You did the right thing. I'm not signed up for a 5k run so I'm not in a hurry to finish. But I am trying to stay on track, because like you, I'm sure I would feel left behind. That is a sad story about your friend, so sorry you had to experience that. My goal is to get healthy, if I fall over dead I don't think that would be good. :shock: So It's important to take care of ourselves. You know in my twenty's I wanted loose weight so I could look good. Now, I just want to loose weight so I can live longer and so I can see grandchildren some day. Isnt it strange how are thinking changes as we get older? ;)
Linda
starknut

Post by starknut »

Simongeorge wrote: And before anyone thinks I was being a wus stopping for a week with just a cold, I was still working 12-13 hours a day and also, I am nervous about running with a cold since, at 16 I lost a good friend who was super fit and thought he would run off a cold, he collapsed and died and was found by his parents close to home with his music still playing.maybe it wasnt just the cold, but we need to be careful don't we, especially as I'm more than twice that age now.
I never run with a cold, either: when I do, it always seems to get into my lungs and I'm sick for AGES. So this is one woman who would NEVER call you or anyone else a wuss!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

And welcome back from me too and well done on the run. The next one is all in your head - just choose the next landmark along your run and get to it without looking at your watch every thirty seconds (yes I WAS that runner!)

Sorry about your pal - very young to lose someone.

As for "man-flu" I'm guessing you've seen the man stroke woman sketch. If not it's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ
Natty1976

Post by Natty1976 »

I did too much with a bad cold back in Feb instead of resting, it lingered for weeks and before I knew it I had a chest infection, followed by pneumonia. Far better to rest and it's only deflating if you can't do as well as you normally would as you're feeling rough.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

WELCOME BACK! And, I don't blame you for not running with a cold. I actually read somewhere you shouldn't run (or exercise too hard for that matter) with a cold that has moved into your chest. I had a cold at the beginning of my week 2 and I held off for a few days. Mine never moved into my chest very much so after a few days I continued. But i hated falling behind by a few days!!!!

Way to push through! Sometimes it is just a mind game more than a physical thing. And thanks for passing on your ear slapping earphone problem to me. Today was the first time the earbuds would NOT stay in my ears! lol
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Run3 of wk 6 done. It's been raining all day, and I've been very busy at work, so I resigned myself to not running today, then the weekend looks tricky, so I thought I'd slide still further behind, then on the wAy home at 8.30 this evening, I thought no, I'm going to do it, I got my kit together and ran there and then. It wAs super-hard, I don't think I'm back to full health, and my lengthy break means I lost a little condition I think, but I did it! Now I know I can run 25 mins, I have no fear! In fact signs went up near work that there's to be a 5 k next Tuesday evening, I might try to run the route next week, just to see where I'm at.