Any other bad asthmatics out there?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
yayifications

Any other bad asthmatics out there?

Post by yayifications »

I've suffered badly from asthma since I was two and it's really held me back tremendously in the exercise department and I used to struggle awfully with PE at school. Fifteen years down the line and they've found nothing that will really improve my asthma, just control it, and I'm on three inhalers a day (plus a tablet and a nose spray for my allergies to cats, dogs and grass.) Since losing two stone within the last two years my asthma has improved but it's still difficult to run comfortably, the slightest bit of exercise leaves me gasping for breath.

I completed W1R3 today and didn't have to use my inhaler at all (used it 4 times on R1, once on R2, but I really paced myself this time) which to me suggests I am improving, but I'm considering doing all of the weeks at least twice so I don't push myself too hard. My doctor has no worries about me doing this, as long as I don't overdo it.

Does anyone have any success stories from asthmatics!?
Or tips on the best way to breathe whilst running?
escocia38

Re: Any other bad asthmatics out there?

Post by escocia38 »

Heya,
You're doing fantastically!

As I said before, I also have asthma but not half as bad as you have but completing W1R3 is superb - and without your inhaler has to be a great sign!

I've just done the first week and forgot my inhaler although I really felt I needed it for my first couple of runs in W1R1, and won't be forgetting it next time - think I have a slight chest infection thats starting me off.

I can't answer about you re-doing the week again but I think you're doing really well and hope to catch you up soon :)